Pleasant Afternoon

After photographing around Mt. Rainier for a couple days, @Steve_Kennedy and I headed north to explore the northern cascades for a couple more days. I had never been to this area, and Steve had only recently been there for the first time. We arrived around 4:30 p.m. with the idea of scouting compositions a little before exploring other areas, and then possibly returning for sunset. The clouds and light were nice from the get go and we never moved on, finally heading back to camp after dark.

I took way too many pictures, and it was tough to pick favorites. In the end I ended up with three, with this my least favorite.

Specific Feedback Requested

How does the color balance look? I wasn’t happy with what the camera chose (and forgot to shoot a gray card), and struggled a bit to find something I was happy with. Also, is the lower right corner too distracting? As always, any other suggestions appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
FUJIFILM X-T30
FUJIFILM XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS at 24.3 mm (36 mm equivalent)
1/60 at f/10.0 and ISO 160 (multiple images blended for DOF)

1 Like

If this were my photo I would not change a thing. Everything about it works. I wanna be there which, to me, is a measure of a fine landscape photo. Simply stunning.

1 Like

Lovely scene. Love the light here ( more and more often I’m shooting outside de “Perfect” golden hour).
That LRC is a bit distracting but, just that. a little.
my main “nit” is the peak reflex overlapping the grass on the left side.
But a very pleasant picture.

1 Like

John, this is a lovely look at this mountain and it’s reflection. It’s very peaceful and inviting with the foreground grass, snow fields and mixed clouds. The one idea I have is that if you adjust the brightness and maybe saturation of the non-grass in the lower left so it’s tone matches better with the grasses, it will blend even better than it does now. Right now, I call that tonal difference very minor. I do find myself wondering about a horizontal view, including some of the grass and sky.

1 Like

Great picture. I love how the line of trees falling into the distance. And the clouds really work well and balance the darker greens. My only tweek would be that I find the foreground grass a bit distracting and suggest a little crop.

1 Like

This is a really well done classic lake and mountain image. If this is your least favorite then I’m really looking forward to the others. The weakest part for me is the very foreground. I think that if this had the texture of reeds instead of grass it would look stronger. The mountains, reflection, and sky look perfect to me.

1 Like

Really nice work here John, with beautiful light and color. I love the way the grasses look, that green/yellow really sings. I feel like I am standing right there in this scene, and experiencing a great moment in nature. My only suggested tweak would be to darken the darker tones in the reflection of the mountain, to make the reflection slightly darker and with more contrast . That is a nit though , this image works very well for me.

1 Like

Oh my, this is gorgeous. I love the reflection in the reed-filled water. I do find the LRC a bit distracting. Maybe just dodging it a bit (or cloning in grasses, if that’s your thing).

1 Like

I think you achieved a very natural pleasing Classic look, a Calendar or Book photo and I say that in not a demeaning way…

1 Like

Dear @John_Williams, in my opinion is a great shot. Composition is superb: interesting foreground, reflection in midground and a wonderful background. What else? Colors and contrast look very natural. Really stunning shot, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Excellent image. I like it just as is… no nits here. Thanks for posting it.

1 Like

This is a great photo John! Much better than mine from that same spot. Well done!

1 Like

Beautiful image John! The color balance looks fine to me. I agree with some of the others: crop the bottom and get rid of the brown grass.

1 Like