Postcard Morning

In the fall of 2018, I was only able to slip away with the camera once. I took a quick overnight trip to the Trout Lake area, and spent the night listening to the rain and hoping that the moisture would leave so there would be views available the next day.

When I headed away from camp in the predawn dark the rain had stopped, and the stars were shining brightly. As I set up at this location, I hoped the opposite, that there would be enough moisture in the sky to hold color as the sun rose. The light cooperated just enough to give a nice warm glow as the sun greeted the mountain.

As I took this image I was surprised to find I was one of about 10 photographers; most of them participating in guided workshops. Zack Schnepf of Photo Cascadia was near me, and he called this a “Postcard Morning;” I thought that fit the bill nicely.

Nikon D7100
Nikon 18.0-70.0 mm f/3.5-4.5 at 40.0 mm (60 mm equiv.)
1/4 sec at f/13 and ISO 100

Critique (any) is always appreciated!

EDIT: Thanks for the suggestions all! Here’s a version trying to follow @Ken_Henke’s suggestions.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Yep, John, perfect title for sure. There is just enough cloud structure to give the image depth. One thing my eye was drawn to is the red saturation on the mountain reflection. Seems a little intense compared to the mountain itself. Minor item. Maybe something to consider to bring a bit more interest, is adding some dodging (brightness) to the trees on the side the sun is striking them. The lightness is already there, just enhance it a bit?
Cheers

John, the title pretty much says it all! This a classic scene that looks very well processed to my eye. I really appreciate how you handled the colors and used just enough restraint. Others may prefer the sky pushed a bit more but I feel that is personal preference. Nicely done!

John, this looks great! A perfect morning indeed.

Peak color, snow capped mountain covered in alpenglow, still water for a reflection, pink clouds, what more could you ask for? I especially like all of the layers you have going here, the grasses at the shoreline, the brown bank, the aspens, and the spruces, it makes for a wonderful composition.

I think the couple of small tweaks in the repost nailed it perfectly, John. the layering works beautifully in the scene as does the side lighting bringing out a wealth of details. Looks like the perfect way to start the day to me.

The tweaks worked well!

I like this just fine. Very nice to have the autumn colors as part of the scene.

Wow, John, This is gorgeous, and to me it far surpasses the best of postcard imagery. The first is excellent, and the tweak of the warm highlight makes it all the better. As a minor suggestion for the second image, having a look at the reeds at the waterline on the left, wonder how it would work by bringing up the lights a little in the reflections as well.

Nothing to say other than this is classic and beautiful. I knew it was yours!

This is exquisite, John. Nice layering and beautiful palette of colors. The repost with the a bit more contrast in the trees looks great.

Hi John,

It is so nice to see a post from you. A stunning scene and one that has been captured and presented with your usual flair. Love the light and the vast expanse of the landscape leading all the way to the mountain.

Images like this one make me want to drop everything and head outdoors.