Poetry in Motion

Fun to watch these birds fly. So graceful in the air.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Any pertinent technical details:

Nikon D7200 and Tamron 150-600mm G1 at 220mm. 1/1600 sec, f/5.3, iso 100.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Very interesting composition. I like it quite a bit. Exposure looks good in a challenging situation. Birds look a little soft, and I’d prefer a bit more space between the tip of the pelicans’ wings and the edge of the frame. One other very small point, but I’d probably clone a tiny space so that the last two pelicans’ wings aren’t touching.

Thanks Lyle. There was no cropping at all, they were close. I agree they are a tad soft. I have since discovered there was some fringing and removed that.

Very nice, Larry. The pelicans look plenty sharp and well exposed. I like the formation. I would suggest that you add a bit of canvas to the top and right to give the birds a bit more room to move into.

I believe you’re just getting into Photoshop, so an easy way to do it is to make sure you have a little extra room around the image in the working space, click on the crop tool, make sure the “content aware” box on the top banner is checked, then drag the upper right corner up and to the right until it looks good. Hit the enter key to make the changes take effect and the software will fill in the blank area. In this case, it might pick up on one of the wing tips and reproduce that as well. If so, you can use the clone tool (rubber stamp) to replace that area with sky.

Wow, that is a pretty neat feature! Now I’m really motivated to learn more about PS.

Many thanks.