White Pelican

The swamp we toured this past weekend has large basins of open water that attracted these pelicans migrating south. I think these birds look better in sunlight be we had gray skies all weekend.

Canon 90D, Sigma 150-600 C
ISO 1000, f6.3, 1/1600s, hand held from boat

Any comments appreciated.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@allensparks.wildlife

That is a dandy pose. Really good job on exposure and focus is spot on. Nice to see the detail in the whites on the pelican, and perhaps that is because of the softbox effect of the clouds. Composition looks just right.

A very nice image, Allen. I like the wing position and the detail in the Pelican is great. It’s probably an optical illusion, but if you look at the line along the bottom of the wings, it slants down and to the right and it makes me feel like the bird has tripped or something. I think a bit of CCW rotation would help make the image more powerful even if it’s not quite true to life.

Pretty flight image. Considering the cloudiness, you did a good job with the plumage. Very difficult to get good whites under these conditions. The outspread feathers on the wings are nice with respect to shape and form.

Hi Allen
Love Pelicans, the eye contact, feather action, detail in the white and kick off from the back leg, said summer to me. (no matter what time of year). Thank you.
Peter

Wonderful action captured! I love the splash and the reflection! I wonder if you have more canvas on the left, to move the splash a little farther from the edge. (Probably wouldn’t be hard to manufacture some.) Maybe a bit more at the bottom, too, and a bit off the top.

A bit of CCW rotation feels right to me, not so much from the wing but from the waves, although it’s always hard to judge what is really horizontal.

Good timing to get the take-off splash. I like the wing position and the detail is very nice.