White Pelican Landing

The sun was behind and at an angle to the bird as it landed. I liked how it illuminated the wings and was at just enough of an angle to light one side of the bird’s face.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Taken mid-morning with a 500 mm lens at 1/2500, f/7.1 and ISO 1100 and cropped to about 50% of the original size.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Great action, Richard. I really like the angle of the bird to you. The reflection is cool as well. As an artistic image, the harsh light on the side of it’s face is a bit of a problem though it’s offset by the beautiful backlighting of the wings.

Love the splashdown landing, and I agree about the light coming through the wings. As Dennis mentions, the highlights are awfully hot on the side of the face, and being closer would’ve resulted in a lot more impact.

Thanks guys for your comments. The mid-morning light was quite strong and even with a -1 exposure comp, the whites were hot. Not sure how I could get closer while standing on a lake bank as the birds flew and landed randomly without going for a swim. :sunglasses: A further crop became too crowded for my taste. Thanks again, Richard