POLL: What prevents you from critiquing others images?

I tend to post a response to viewing images exclusively in my own sphere of interest, namely landscape which is usually done just before or after I post an image of my own, as time is inevitably at a premium. If the pictures showing on the first page, (I rarely look further), stimulate or inspire, save perhaps for one or two minor points, I will always feel inclined to provide encouraging critique and will do so to as many pictures that appear on that page which meet the above criteria. Some pictures inevitably fail to engage with me entirely, so I never make critiques to those and believe it is pointless to do so, as there is little or no sense of wonder elicited and consequently nothing that I think can be achieved by critique of them. The number of critiques I make are therefore completely variable and making a minimum number is to me a little bit pointless. In short I agree with Han Schutten

@Kerry_Gordon said it very well. Every image touches people in some way. Could be positive, could be negative, but it touches them.

As Ansel Adams so eloquently said:
" “ There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.”"

Here on NPN, unless it is your image, you are the viewer. What is your reaction to the image. Share your honest thoughts in a constructive way. Many times I’ve posted an image that I really like and I already know how it touched me, but based on the comments I see how it made others react. I can choose to agree and accept the input and allow it to influence my photographic goals or not. The point is the gift of feedback in invaluable.

1 Like

I wonder if there was some structure to the critique process if more people would do it? Sometimes I feel like I’m just throwing random thoughts at the post. =)

1 Like

I do not think providing critique requires being more experienced and knowledgeable than the person posting the image. Yes there are"mentors" here that do a lot of that stuff, and that has value. But as an experienced photographer, I want to hear how people react to my images, what resonates with them and what doesn’t. And I like to hear that from a wide cross section of viewers, each with their own tastes and perspectives.

If you like something about an image, it can be nice to take 30 seconds to briefly say why you like it, rather than just hitting the like button. This makes you more engaged in the NPN community, and is a nice way to “pay back” some of those “mentors” who do spend substantial time providing detailed critiques to you. Everyone has unique perspectives, and they might be more valuable to others than you realize.

4 Likes

It is impossible to move from one image to the next easily…

2 Likes

I checked off two of the above boxes. One of my issues is other interests and so time can become a bit of a constraint.
The other box I checked was about being qualified to give critiques. I do have some basic understanding about photography and I can give critiques. I do think at times I may have been a little too blunt in a critique.
Individuals post photos in the critique forums so they can get some constructive feedback. I need to remind myself that they are not posting their bad photos. They are posting their good or best photos. Even constructive comments can come across as too critical.
The other issue I have is the idea of giving 5 critiques for each photo posted. I can understand the idea of trying to get a more active and vibrant forum. However in a rush to achieve the 5 we revert to crop this, lighten that, take this out or change the ISO for better SS. All legitimate and all technical. And very little about what was the photo trying to say or what was it about.

I critique images fairly often because I believe it is an excellent way to learn from the comments as others as well as to see how my insights shore up to the photographer of the image and the views of others commenting. To me, NPN is a learning experience and mechanism to improve my own images.

I agree with @Kerry_Gordon and @Ed_McGuirk, for sure I try to always include “why” I like what I like. This alone helps me focus on things I tend to gloss over in the field: composition, balance, light, lines, patterns, and other elements. Focusing on “why” really makes me stop and think a bit longer than just hitting the like button. Many times it takes me a while to figure out “why”!

1 Like

@Patricia_Brundage - to add a reworked photo, just go to your post, scroll to the bottom of the main body of it (just above where the comments start), and click the pencil icon. That will let you edit your main post. Put the cursor where you want to insert the reworked photo, then “add image” as usual - here’s a snip of the bottom of a post showing the pencil icon. Hope that helps!

I try to comment as I have time. I agree with everything Kerry said. Critiquing makes you think about a photo, which in turn helps you learn what works or not.

I also agree with Ed about liking to hear how folks react to photos and what resonates. It’s so interesting to hear how a photo is interpreted by different people. The technical stuff is good, also, though.

Sometimes I will just leave a like and won’t comment if there are already a lot saying the same thing as I was going to say.

But this time spent thinking about "why’ provides some of the best learning experiences for me. If I’m forced to verbalize it in my own words, I come away with a deeper understanding of concepts.

1 Like

I’d like to echo some of the comments already made here that contest that people aren’t qualified to provide a critique.

Sometimes as a creator you perceive your image one way and people provide feedback that perceive it another way. For example sometimes I’ve posted an image where I was being cautious that I might have processed with too much saturation or contrast only for others to suggest that it can be taken further.

At a minimum I think that folks can comment about what resonates with them about an image if there is something that they like. Some of the value of NPN is that one can get honest feedback even if that feedback isn’t rosy. I suggest that people are more likely to give honest feedback if the image creator is an active member of the network and not someone relatively unknown.

I think that some of the feedback on this network is world class and I can appreciate that intimidates people to contribute. Would it be possible to have a learning from the experts article about their approach to critiquing an image? This may help others feel comfortable in contributing.

4 Likes

I tend to give more detailed critique that addresses my concerns on an image to those members that participate frequently, because I usually have a decent idea of that persons experience level, and I know which ones are looking for suggestions for subtle tweaks to achieve a higher quality standard. With new members, or ones that I don’t know well because they don’t post often, I try to still give honest feedback about the most significant pro/s/cons of an image, and less about subtle things.

Even though some of the critique here is “world class”, I would encourage people not to be intimidated from participating. For example, many times in doing a critique or rework I have discussed some more advanced post processing techniques with an image poster who I think could apply and benefit from those techniques. But then a less experienced member chimes in and says “I’m not familiar with that technique, could someone explain it further”. At which point the discussion benefits not just the person posting the image, but other members too. I would encourage people to engage like this, it is not necessarily a “hijacking” of the original thread.

5 Likes

I have been on NPN almost from its inception. These days however, I am very busy and don’t have the time to devote to viewing and critiquing images online. I do visit NPN about once a week to see what is new, but I quickly get pulled away to more pressing things. If I do have time I do leave feedback on images that appeal to me.

1 Like

Like several others here I’ve been a part of NPN since the earth cooled. I would say without this on line method of posting and critiquing images my overall work would have never made it off the light table or nowadays lightroom. I think I was OK like many with compositions in general, but my PS work stunk. It was only working with the many very solid & talented photogs here at NPN that I improved my work to an acceptable level for at least my own satisfaction.
Being one of the last film shooters left on the site I’ve been splitting my available time between here at NPN, another mostly analog site , my on line sites, and busy life overall.
If things change for my time allotment I would surely like to be more active here.
Thank you to the MANY NPN members for your long time support towards my work.

1 Like

I am relatively new to NPN and in this short time the other members here have been more than kind with their support and comments. Thank you all. Being a “newbie” I would echo some of the “newbie” concerns; intimated about critiquing, not enough experience and everyone has already said what I was thinking. However, having read the spot on comments from both @Kerry_Gordon and @Ed_McGuirk, I have renewed determination to make a greater effort at being more active and contributing more to the community. Thank you again to all of the moderators and others for your help.

4 Likes

I haven’t read all the replies, so perhaps this has already been covered. First of all I think I’ve learned as much giving a critique as receiving them. The reason for this is because I am forced to study an image and decide what I like or how it might (at least in my eyes) be improved. Understanding this has improved my photography. For example-a nice head turn on the bird makes the bird look more alive as opposed to a static linear pose.
I wonder if some people see the word “critique” and feel they need to leave a comment on how to improve the photo and don’t feel qualified to do so. As noted above, that doesn’t have to be the case. Let the photographer know you enjoyed viewing their work and what you liked about it. Nothing wrong with positive feedback.

2 Likes

I love NPN but I’m too busy earning a living and raising young kids to give thoughtful critiques on a regular basis. I generally head for the discussion forums first when I do check in.

There are some very thoughtful comments here, and they are appreciated.

As of this morning 3/12 0900 PDT there are 80 voters. Let’s see some more, folks.

Your vote, and a comment should you choose leave one, are very helpful.

Thanks to all who have voted in our poll!
-P