Pond Scum Study #1 (Re-Worked Version Added)

Edit: Added a re-worked version, with the URC “fixed”. I just could not get it to look right by dodging/burning, lowering contrast, curves, etc., so I resorted to cloning in the pattern from elsewhere. Hopefully, that is not too obvious.

I went back to my current favorite ponds for further exploration. This reminded me of our discussion about Lon’s yellow and blue reflections/refractions photo. The darker parts are where the reflection of the trees allow the bottom of the pond to show through and the lighter parts are pond scum in reflected light.

What technical feedback would you like if any? What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any comments welcome. The focus is a bit soft at the top and bottom.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Single frame, a7r3, 100-400mm @202mm, f/18, 1/13s, ISO400.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

#ig @bonnie_lampley

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Hi Bonnie,

I find this image interesting. I had to open it up large to figure out what this is. What was causing the light to hit the pond in such a way?

I think you’ve got a unique abstract here.

Bonnie,

Wow! This is outstanding! This is one fantastic reflection abstract. I may have been hard pressed to figure this out without your description (and reference, thanks.) But once it’s understood - I gotta say it’s no less impressive! As either a mystery abstract or simple reflection, I love this.

The question is what is being reflected? The obvious to me are tree trunks, but is that what’s really going on? And please, maybe hold off on answering that. We should just be able to enjoy this without all the questions and answers.

My only technical suggestion might be to drop the brightness in the UR area to match the luminosity a little closer to the rest of the reflected white areas. No biggie though.

I think these ponds must double as gold mines…

Lon

Hi Bonnie superb and unusual looking abstract. I love it not only for what it looks like (I think the composition is excellent) but also because in every other respect the subject would probably be considered utterly ordinary, even banal.

Bonnie ,I always first look at the image. And without knowing what it was , I saw an abstract in a beautiful composition and colors. Good to look at a bit longer than normal.Maybe to find out what it tells me

This turned out great. My only suggestion seconds @Lon_Overacker 's regarding the brightness of the URC. This abstract is both baffling and excellent.

@Nathan_Klein, @Ben_van_der_Sande, @Harley_Goldman, @Ian_Cameron, and @Lon_Overacker - thank you for your appreciation. I know that URC is problematic, and I actually brought it down some already. Bringing it down more makes it look muddy, though, so I’m still working on it. If anyone has suggestions for how to do it, I’m all ears.

Nathan, it was flat light, but a bit bright, and I was shooting into the direction of the sun. At the angle I chose, the light reflecting off the water was somewhat bright (I exposed to bring up the brights and then dodged/burned a bit to bring out more contrast).

1 Like

Bonnie, this is a very cool image. The large and small scale patterns are great and work very well together.

I will second how cool this actually looks. Clearly shows the vision on your part. I am not bothered with the focus falls off at all. I am with Lon about the UR area although I would add that the contrast there is also higher than the rest of the image. I think dropping it a little bit would make it more even. Thanks for sharing this!!

Wonderful abstract Bonnie! Love the patterns and textures. Ice is always fun to photograph.

@Craig_Moreau, @Adhika_Lie, and @Eva_McDermott, thank you for your kind words. Eva, this is open water, not frozen (well, open but covered with scum or something). Unfortunately, we don’t get much ice here.

That is the quality of a good abstract. You really can’t tell what it is.

1 Like

I’m coming in late here Bonnie, but this is a wonderful abstract image. Pond scum never looked this good before :laughing: That’s whats great about abstract nature photography, the challenge and satisfaction of making something out of nothing.

I love the way you have arranged the three white “daggers”, it creates a strong sense of rhythm in this image. And your rework nicely cleans up the URC without it being noticeable. Great bit of seeing on your part to extract this pattern from the landscape.

1 Like

Bonnie,

You have mastered the transformation of pond-scum to fine abstract art. I have no nits and appreciate the color patterns presented in your comp. Well done…Jim

1 Like

Thank you, @Ed_McGuirk and @Jim_Zablotny.