Portrait of a Red-Tailed Hawk w/Repost

Repost with a bit more room on the right:

Original Post:

Red-Tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis), Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge, Washingon, USA

Going through the archives and came across this image. Minor crop off the top and bottom.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon EOS 1D IV, EF 500mm f/4 + 1.4x, 1/50 Sec @ f/6.3, ISO 800. Balanced on beanbag.

Slight dodging of the eye, burning of the breast and darkening of the bottom in Capture One.

2 Likes

This is a beauty, David. Great details and a nice pose. I might try to take that white breast down a bit more, but it’s nice as is.

Very pleasing colors, detail, and pose in this image. Yes, I have gotten this close also at Ridgefield. An excellent place to get superb hawk images.

Excellent, David. The detail and pose are wonderful. The exposure looks fine to me. Maybe just a bit more canvas all around, if you have it.

Wonderful detail in the feathers and particularly around the head.

Processing has worked a treat.

I wonder if adding a bit more canvas to the RHS would give the bird a bit of breathing room?

Enjoying the sharp detail on this image.

@terryb , @David_Schoen, @Dennis_Plank, @glennie, and @Allen_Brooks, thanks for your comments. I wish I did have a bit more canvas on the right. But that is a full crop image. I suppose I could do a bit of content aware cropping…I’ll give that a try…

Hi David
First the Hawk looks great, love the head turn and eye contact. The second post give this Red-Tail more breathing room. Nice work.
Peter

Oh the repost with extra space looks darn great. Such a treat to see one on the ground and with such detail and presence. Super.

Love the RP. Maybe a tad of clone pattern cleaning in the RH grasses.