Preening Sandhill

Description:

The local sandhill cranes spend most of their time foraging for insects and worms. However, they do try to look their best when a camera is present.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D850 200-400mm f4 at 400mm (1/1600 sec at f8.0, ISO 640) Levels, curve adjustment on flat profile using camera raw filter.
Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

So nice, Jim. Looks like the Sandhill went out of his way to be ready for you. So much to admire about this image; the soft lighting, details in the bird and the lovely complimentary OOF background. Just wonderful.

1 Like

A beautiful portrait, Jim. I always like grooming shots and it’s usually difficult to get one with the eye open. Excellent job.

1 Like

Oddly enough, while I find it sharp, I am not convinced that some selective sharpening wouldn’t really crisp up the head and leading feathers. I love the Sandhills and whenever I can get to Circle B I make a point of being there when the Sandhills come in to nest.

1 Like

Excellent light, detail, and pose. Good job.

1 Like

I can’t decide which is best, the subject, the pose, the BG or the lighting. All 3 together make it an A+.

1 Like

Hello, Jim, a nice and intimate shot. Pose, compositions, colours, techs - all great ! Nice one ! Hans

1 Like