Protected by the big-one

Always nice finding older images and working on them.

What technical feedback would you like if any?All feedback always welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?All feedback is always welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

I quite like the dreamy light and scene. I would consider cloning out the bit of sky along the top and maybe bring down the leaves on the tree to the right. Very nicely done, Ben.

This is an interesting idea of juxtaposing one tree in front of another. I just feel there is not enough tonal separation to pull it off. If this was a bleach/white tree it would work much better. I really love the overall cast to the image, particularly the foreground ridge which I find fascinating. The overall handling of the image reminds me of some of my favorite painting of Andrew Wyeth (sp?).

I’m just wondering if isolating your main idea here makes the point stronger:

I think not.

Ben, the lighting here is lovely. Your placement of the two tree emphasizes them both nicely. This is a view that needs to be viewed large and for some time to best enjoy.

This is a very creative bit of seeing on your part Ben. I love the warm gauzy mood of this image. Like @Igor_Doncov, I love the idea to stack two trees like this in a centered composition. I also like what Igor did to create some tonal separation of the front tree. With that tweak I think it can work either with the original composition (which has a greater sense of mystery due to the fog, or with Igor’s crop which tells a stronger story about the relationship of the two trees.

If you elect to keep the original composition, i would suggest cloning away some brighter patches of sky(?) in the URC, it’s a minor hotspot.

Hey @Ben_van_der_Sande,

What a dream of a image, the expanding effect of the many trees from center is beautiful. The only thing (minor) i would change is, as @Harley_Goldman said, to clone that path of sky.
Other then that, for me, is perfect and thanks you so much for sharing.
Cheers

@Harley_Goldman, @Mark_Seaver, @Ed_McGuirk, @João_Ferrão, @Igor_Doncov, Thank you all for your time and suggestions. I am thinking of going back to this place in a later season. After reading all the comments I made a remake.

I think the tonal separation is better here. Hope you like this one to.

1 Like

There ya go Ben - beautiful light and atmosphere you’ve captured here. Wow, this is wonderful.

While I like Igor’s crop, I also think your original is awesome - I would just consider cloning in that small patch of sky along the top edge that Harley first mentioned. And maybe a crop or cloning/tonin the top of the bushes lower right to keep the eye in the frame.

For me, I much prefer your original color, tones, etc. than the repost.

Just love the way you maneuvered to get the smaller tree framed inside the bigger one - and then have the light/mist top this one off. Beautiful!

Lon