Quarry reflection

One of the big quarries of Rock of Ages in Barre, Vermont, is typically full of water. It is huge. The remains of cabling sets off the stained granite and all is beautifully reflected as an abstract form.

Specific Feedback Requested

any and all

Technical Details

Pentax K-7, 1/320, f/8.0, 260mm, ISO800 with adjustments in LR

3 Likes

Nice one, John. I like the cabling as it adds a sense of place, while still keeping things abstract. Well done.

Awesome colors and colors John. Your image has a strong graphic quality with the vertical lines in the rocks. Nice work!

Really great lines and colors. Beautifully modern abstract! You’ve done really well with the composition…it all seems balanced and natural!

Surreal image John. The colours, lines, textures and reflections work well together to keep my eyes wandering around the scene…

Great shot John. I love images like these. I can see the appeal of having the cabling in the shot to give a sense of reality, however, I think I might prefer the shot without. It’s all personal preference of course. I find myself puzzling over the cables, trying to figure out where/why/what, instead of just enjoying the beauty of the lines and colors. don’t get me wrong, I still really like the image! Well seen and shot.

Wonderful complementary colors with the blue and orange. Good division of space. The diagonal lines through the vertical of the granite wall make the photo dynamic. Personally, I do not care for the cables.

The cabling doesn’t bother me so much as the fact that the vertical lines cross the horizontal at diagonal angles with the angle becoming sharper below the water line. I’m not sure why I’m getting that reaction but everything seems to be slightly leaning. But when I crop out the perfectly horizontal line the sensation goes away. At least for me it does.

I like the color palette used here with the browns and blues. I don’t think this would be as strong in black and white.

This has such amazing, deep colors along with both strong vertical and horizontal lines. The business of this actually holds my attention as I just want to explore everywhere. The cables don’t bother but at the same time I would love to see a similar image from this quarry without any cables or rusty metal poles. I can see several images that can be made from crops of this image. Just beautiful John!

Very well seen. I visited the Rock of Age Quarry in 2011 and wish I would (could?) have seen your composition. I liked the color, composition and graphic quality of your image. The lines all work for me. Well done.