Quiet Light (+ Repost)

This is an image that I took last year at sunrise along the Blue Ridge Parkway. The sun was rising over my left shoulder and was partially diffused as I remember. The result was this soft pastel glow that I thought had a quiet beauty. The fog accentuated the layered ridges and matched the mood of the photo.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments and critiques are welcome. In particular, is there enough in this image to hold your interest?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
85 mm
1/2 sec @ f/11; ISO 64

Processing Info:
Levels adjustments to target contrast in sky and mountains separately. Also minor adjustments to vibrance using TK’s vibrance masks.

@Tony_Kuyper @Harley_Goldman @jaapv @Ed_McGuirk Thank you all for your input. I have made a few tweaks to this image using Tony’s and Harley’s suggestions. I added contrast using a lights 2 luminosity mask and then added a touch more saturation. I definitely like the result a lot better.

2 Likes

An image that I like very much. I find little to critique .Maybe enhance the pink in the sky a bit?

This looks really good, Brian. Real nice dreamy mood to it. I might boost the vibrance a bit more if it does not diminish the mood. No other thoughts come to mind. Love that valley fog.

This does look great Brian. Wonderful blue hour pastel colors, the gradient in the sky is very nicely done. I also like how you left the fog slightly cool, it adds to the mood. You needed to show this much sky to get he color gradient. But this image might not work as well without the little wisps of clouds in the ULC, they are really the icing on the cake in this image. Really nice work…

1 Like

“Quiet Light” is the perfect title for this. The soft colors work nicely. I’m sort of with Harley in that I do think you could push a little further with the development. For example, I think you could dodge the clouds a bit to add some whiteness and brightness to them while still retaining their texture.