Rain Drop reflections

I used a 90D with my 180 macro and the 25mm extension tube. I wanted to try a monopod and a gimbal to see how close and well I can aim the camera. The macro was set at 1:1 and this was cropped 1:1.

So I wanted to avoid a flash system, does that sound right. I wanted focus on the reflection which does not appear to great. So any advice is welcome. I think one thing I will hear is a tripod will work better here, but I wanted to try the monopod because sometimes I use this setup to find things so small it needs this set up to see them.

Dean, it is always nice to experiment in photography, and find out what works, and what doesn’t.
The setup with a monopod and gimbal head gives us freedom to be somewhat like HH, to be able to move around quickly to capture a shot of an insect or some other moving critter before it gets away and we miss the shot. For something like a rain drop I do think you would be better off on a solid tripod and locked down to prevent camera movement. And yes, sometimes those tiny subjects are hard to get to.

The image appears a bit noisy. Not sure what your settings are. I do like that you captured the blades of grass reflections in the drop. Right, with water drops you want to avoid the flash.

I am looking forward to seeing more of your shots with the monopod and gimbal head. It just helps me to be a bit more steady with the camera than HH when shooting images of insects. I also use it for birding (been awhile since I have been able to do that though), and it seems to help me there too. Wishing you the best as you experiment.

1 Like

sorry forgot 90D 180 macro with 25mm extension tube iso 2000 1/250 f/10 I did more with bees today using the monopod so we will see how that did.

1 Like

Dean, experiment is both fun and necessary. The reflections show decently here, but everything looks a bit soft. My first thought is that the softness is due to the combination of the monopod and the magnification. I see what I think is motion blur in the whitish spots on the leaf in the lower left corner. When working at 1:1 your stability and focus need to be super and I don’t think a monopod allows that. Your 90D is a 1.6 factor crop sensor, that means that when the lens is focused at it’s closest point, your magnification is 1.6:1 and that’s without the extension tube. With the extension tube, you get extra magnification set by the ratio of the tube length divided by the lens focal length, so with your 180 and 25 mm extension, the magnification gain is 25/180 = .139. If you were at minimum working distance, your magnification is 1.6 +.139 = 1.74.

1 Like

Hi Dean,

Well this a very challenging shot. Going 1:1 limits the depth of field. Use a tripod and a cable release which will eliminate camera shake. You can also use a timer delay on your camera which will raise the mirror and eliminate mirror slap. Also, a range the comp so the drop is off center and this generates more interest to the eye. It is ok to have more of the leaf showing because, if you get the drop nice and sharp, then the eye will move up to the subject. If your camera does live view, then you can use it for manually adjusting focus. I like where you are going with this image and with macro work, you keep trying until you get the preferred shot…Jim

1 Like

Thanks @Mark_Seaver about the 1.6:1 so I guess a full frame camera is needed if I wanted a 1:1. Not sure why I did not know that. @Jim_Zablotny, I wanted to see how stable I can be with the mono but I see now that the tripod is a must here. I did another drop but with a tripod and a remote shutter which mirror lockup in place and that worked well.

I see the advantage of the live view and I am seriously looking at a mirrorless camera because of it. The view screen of the 90D does not work well in the daytime. I have a hoodman, but holding it and operating the camera is not easy, I have been thinking that the tracking would be very useful as the insect moves around. I know I got off subject, using a macro and a extension tube mainly looking for very tiny insects.

2 Likes

I’m rather late coming to this, Dean and you got some excellent advice from the others. If you’re having trouble seeing the view screen of the 90D a very simple solution is the old fashioned idea of a dark cloth to drape over your head and the camera-simple, but quite effective and a whole lot cheaper than a new camera. I don’t think any LCD screen is really effective in the sun.

1 Like