Rainy Day Maple Leaves

Found these beautiful Maple Leaves after a night of rain. Shot several images ands like this one best.

Specific Feedback Requested

Appreciate any thoughts.

Technical Details

ISO 400 F4.5 1/250 EV -1 Slight colour enhancement and sharpness to the rain drops

Hi Domenico,

I really like the balance of the composition here, and the color variety is very nice as well. Water droplets are always a nice touch too.

I opened this up in photoshop to reduce the contrast slightly and open the shadows a little more. For such soft and serene subject matter, the blacks just felt a little too intense and harsh. I would soften those slightly. Since I am working on a JPEG it doesn’t look as good as it will when you do it to the RAW file. It is also very warm, there is a slight yellow color cast. Cooling down the white balance and adding a little green in the tint brings out the individual colors better.

Hope this is helpful!

Your friend,
Eric

Looking at my version again, I wouldn’t reduce the contrast as much as I did, I would leave it somewhere in between your original version and my edited version.

MrBennett:

Thank you for your wonderful contribution via the Fall colours critique. Greatly appreciate your kind words via the Rainy Day Maple Leaf image.
I agree with you regarding the blacks and slight tint.
Have a great day and all my very best to you and your Lovely Family.

Domenico,

Welcome to NPN! Great to have you here!

Wonderful arrangement of the autumn leaves. And the drops of course are icing on the cake.

Love the rich colors. I might agree with Eric on his contrast comment, but also with the reassessment about somewhere in between the 2 edits.

Love the arrangement as I mentioned. I think with intimate scenes like this and the digital format, that there are alternative crops. I think crops don’t always make the image better, but are alternatives based on what see and are wanting to present. Given the darker areas from the slightly higher contrast, perhaps cropping would help with that.

The good news is there are plenty of leaves and water droplets to go around, so cropping I don’t think you lose any content or story. This crop I think brings the green leave more in to prominence.
Just an alternative. What do you think?

Looking forward to your images and participation. As an educator, we hope you can bring some of that with you! Welcome.

2 Likes

That’s not a bad crop!

1 Like

Mr. Overacker:

Thank you for the warm welcome and your kind words and thoughts.
Your crop works well to provide harmony with the green leaf along with the yellows reds and oranges.

It is a wonderful opportunity to share and receive such positive input and mentoring from everyone at Naturephotographers network.

Thank you once again for your welcome and kindness.

My very best to everyone

1 Like

Thank you Eric gkad you like the crop that Lon shared.