Rainy Day Maple Leaves

There are several beautiful Maple trees in the neighbourhood. After a night of rain i found this beautiful colour combo of leaves with rain drops. Shot several images and this one was my favourite.

Self Critique (click to reveal)

Appreciate the colours rain drops emotional feel.

Technical Details

Sony A 6000 Sigma 19 mm f2.8 iso 400 1/250 EV-1 Slight colour enhancement and sharpness to the rain drops

Hi Don and welcome to NPN. This is my kind of photo! Thanks for posting it to Flora. I see that you have a separate post for Eric B’s Guest Critique, so I’ll just put my thoughts in this one.

In terms of emotion, this reminds me that time is fleeting - fall, in particular, seems to be a short season, at least when its the most beautiful. I also find that raindrops, too, are particularly ephemeral and its best to dash out and catch them when they appear.

This is a lovely arrangement and I know how hard it is to pick and choose your groupings with this kind of scene. For my money though, the most interesting and harmonious area is the upper left. The combination of freshness, raindrops, sizes of the leaves and even more importantly, the colors of the leaves is the best up there. You could try copping this image to focus there or if you have other shots that center those leaves more, try posting that image. The colors look natural, but I do wish the whole thing was sharper. Not sure if a tripod might have helped that or possibly a smaller aperture for more DOF - maybe both.

If you do make changes and have a second edit or image, you can add that to your original post by clicking the pencil (edit) icon. This allows us to compare both photos in the viewer one after the other. You can also edit the title with something like + 1 Rework or similar to alert the group that you have done it.

Thanks again and glad to have you on board.

Hi Kristen:

Thank you for the warm, wonderful welcome.

I just read you message and wanted to share my gratitude appreciation and thanks.

Your thoughts suggestions and insight very much brightened my day , thank-you.

I look forward to working on the image with your great input and suggestions.

It is a true delight to have you with everyone at Naturephotographersnetwork.

Have a truly amazing day and all our very best.

Hi Domenico,

Welcome to NPN! :slight_smile:

I like this a lot, the range of colors really stand out and what I like the most is the mix of older, more decayed and darker leaves lying somewhat under the fresher, brighter and more colorful leaves.
The thin, yellow leaf with the black spots at the bottom adds to the mixture and the story in my opinion. :slight_smile:
The fresher leaves on top says that this is an ongoing process of natural decay, soon the top leaves will look like the bottom leaves and more fresh leaves may fall onto the pile :slight_smile:

Personally, I like the progression from bright at the top of the image to dark at the bottom because it strengthens the progressive process of decay.

I’m not bothered by the softer look but if it bothers you, you could add a touch of texture and clarity in Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) or Lightroom (Lr) if you’re familiar with those software tools.

And by all means, if you need any guidance for those tools, please feel free to let us know, I would be happy to help in any capacity that you need. Of course, many others here would be happy to do the same.

What a great first image to post! :slight_smile:

Looking forward to seeing more of your work and creative insight!

Please also feel free to comment on other images as you become more comfortable with the your new environment here at NPN :slight_smile:

Domenico, welcome to NPN! What a great image for your first post. I like images like this. Rain drops are a real bonus for sure. You have nice mix of colorful leaves, placed nicely in the image. I could see this hanging on a wall! I personally can’t think of anything more that could improve the shot. Well done.

1 Like

[quote=“Mervin Rosenquist, post:4, topic:32971, username:Merv”]
…eed any guidance for those tools, please feel free to let us know, I would be happy to help in any capacity that you need. Of course, many others here would be happy to do the same.What a great first image to post! Looking forward to seeing more of your work and creative insight!Please also feel free to comment on other images as you become more comfortable with the your new environment here at NPN
[/quote]Mr. Rosenquist:

Greetings and good good good afternoon.
Thank you for your kind words welcoming myself to the Awesome Naturephotographersnetwork.
Truly a privilege.
Greatly appreciate your thought and input via the Rainy day Maple Leaf image.
Thank you for noting the details via the different stages of leaves .
I noted your comments via the texture and clarity additions.
Look forward to sharing more images with everyone soon.
My very best to you and everyone at Naturephotographersnetwork.

1 Like

Hi Shirley:
Thank you for your kind welcome.
Greatly appreciate your thoughtful words regarding Rainy Day Maple Leaves.
The addition of the rain drops really added a nice addition to the beautiful leaves.
It was inspiring to appreciate the leaves in different stages of colours both in the recently fallen leaves and the leaves already starting to decompose.
Thank you for seeing this image hanging on a wall.
I am pondering a metal print.
Have a most excellent day.

1 Like