Winter Rain

I’ve been on a de facto sabbatical for the past couple of weeks after all of the end of the year stuff involved with the 2020 yearly picks and the busyness of the holidays. I got out this morning and wandered around the yard and garden between rain showers. I spotted this crepe myrtle leaf reposing on some ground cover and thought it made a good subject. The first image is cropped from the vertical to eliminate some OOF areas on the lower half of the image. The second is the original format full frame shot in Illustration Mode and with a canvas texture added in PS. All comments welcome. >=))>

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony A77II
Minolta 200mm macro
ISO 200, 1/10 @ f11
and
ISO 400, 1/8 @ f22, Illustration Mode

Hi Bill,

I like the color saturation in the second, but prefer the composition of the first version. The diagonal yellow vein and purple edge of the serrated leaf lead the eye to the subject. The rain drops are an excellent feature…Jim

I like the cropped one, where you have matched together different shapes in a pleasent way.

Bill, so glad you were able to go out and shoot in yard. I haven’t aimed my camera at anything lately myself, but because I really haven’t seen anything much to shoot, plus it has been chilly here, and I have busy as well.

I like both compositions, and not really sure if I like one more than the other. I like the color saturation in the second one, but not as keen on the Illustration Mode. I think if the first image had the deeper saturation it would definitely be my favorite. That said, they are both good. Great eye to see that leaf just laying there posing for you with all the rain drops.

Welcome back from your “de facto sabbatical,” Bill. The composition, with the leaves so nicely a lined, couldn’t have worked out better. Along with the complimentary colors totally make the image. Both are wonderful, but I do prefer the second for it’s intensity and simplicity. Very nicely seen and executed.

I like both. Red leave pops up from green ones. In the second shot, two yellow veins and red-brown(?) leaf edge nicely lead our eyes to the red leaf.

Both work for me. I like the composition of the first photo and the saturation of the second. Like the addition of the pointed leaf in the horizontal image… it adds another shape and thus more interest. Unusual elements, shapes, leading lines and textures. Great work!

Add one more to liking the cropped, Illustration Mode version. That’s a very nice effect for this image.