Spring Rain

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I went out into today’s major rainstorm to catch the action of rain on my pond. The lily leaf is new this year, with the red/yellow colors showing that it grew in cold water. There are three maple tree blooms in the frame, another indication of early spring.

Technical Details

R5, 100-500 @ 151, 1/80 s, f/8, iso 3200, tripod and rain gear. Shutter speeds above about 1/30 s are needed to freeze the motion of the droplet rebounds.

3 Likes

So refreshing, Mark. Love how the rain droplets create a wonderful pattern of circles.

Wonderful, artistically and technically!! A winning combination!

Excellent, Mark. You really captured the feel of a good spring rain on a pond.

Very appealing. I like the muted colors. The patterns and textures of the rain drops is wonderful and nicely captured. Just being picky, but the pinkish thing in the LR corner keeps distracting me. Also, the five white dots keep drawing my eye. Anyway, really great image.

Mark: What, no stacking? :wink: Superbly captured and a marvelous subject. I see the little pinky Chris mentioned and agree that should go away. The drop rebounds actually bug me a little as well. It’s not readily apparent what they are and because they are white they get more of my attention than I’d like. My first impression before reading your description was that they were some weird sensor spots. Still a great piece of photography in tough conditions. Bravo! >=))>

A great image, Mark. I like the rings and interference patterns created by the rain and the contrast with the yellow lily pad. Also good that you kept the leaf off-center, which strengthens the composition in my opinion. The red streaks on the leaf are a nice detail. The small red and white dots don’t bother me that much.
Love the image in color, and I think it would also be lovely in monochrome.