Raven and Mesquite at Morning

I made this image at Death Valley National Park in 2013. What do you think of the image, of the saturation - is it too saturated? I was going to smooth out the sand with frequency separation, but decided not too because of all the branches in the way. I used this image to practice with the Tk8 panel. Thanks.

Specific Feedback Requested

any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D7000, f14, 4.0 seconds, ISO 100

3 Likes

Wow, Larry. Thais is a perfect image. I love the balance you’ve got here with the trail in the center-right lining up with the clouds in the sky and the trees framing them perfectly. The bird is icing on the cake. Superb.

Thanks, David. I appreciate your compliments. It’s important to get other viewers feedback, especially when in the process of learning software.

Nice image. I love ravens and Death Valley. Considering the bird is in silhouette, I find the foreground a little bright. The arrangement of trees is pleasing and the clouds are a nice bonus.

Larry, I like the image as presented. Only thought and hard to tell from the larger version is maybe the small green patch on the right might need a turn down on the saturation.
This thing has an opening scene to a Twilight Zone episode written all over it. The bare starkness and of course the lone raven is the catch all… :+1:
btw: years ago I was back in a remote canyon in DVNP eating a PB&J sandwich when a raven appeared on the ground about 50 ft. away. All of a sudden he starts pitching the same small red rock in my direction. Gaining about 8-10 ft each time. After about 4 tosses I realized he was wanting to swap the red rock for a piece of the wholewheat bread. I tore off a chunk and pitched it in his direction. I kept the small red rock too… :cowboy_hat_face:

This a great image. The forms as so expressive. And the raven is the icing on the cake. The light is perfect as it accentuates some trees and not others. I tried cropping off about a third of the sky and that works well also for me. Other than that I can’t think of any other changes. This looks like the area near the dunes by Stovepipe Wells. Love ths image. The lighter foreground against the darker sky and background adds to the creepiness.

Beautiful. The infinite tones of the light are splendid and seem to cover the full dynamique range. I am not able to suggest any improvement in this beautiful image.

Thanks @David_Bostock , @Kris_Smith , @Paul_Breitkreuz , @Igor_Doncov , @Giuseppe_Guadagno for your comments and compliments. Paul, I will look at toning down the green saturation on that bush at right. Igor, I will look at a possible crop in the sky, just don’t want to lose the impact of that middle cloud. I appreciate all of your feedback.

I think this is very cool! Maybe the FG could be toned down a bit but no big deal for me.

@Paul_Breitkreuz, that is an amazing story!! I’m glad you rewarded him, and glad you kept the stone! I hope he saw that you did that!

1 Like

Yes, I did get Paul’s story and agree that it’s apt and amazing. I was a fan of the 'Twilight Zone but that gutsy raven was the winner. Thanks for your comment, Diane.

I’ll lay claim to this raven in your image as the same one I met still out there enjoying life in DVNP… :laughing:

I accept that I captured an image of your raven. Thanks for that Paul. It must be the same bird as DVNP is a perfect raven habitat.