Razorbill Portrait

Taken in the same location where Karl was shooting. This one was taken in very sun making the exposure of the dark and light plumage a challenge. The cliffs where this image was taken, are extremely steep and quite high. The potential for danger is definitely there. Because the Razorbills hang out on the grass, sometimes it is difficult to get the whole bird. This is also true of the Puffins which are quite common in the same location. The background is water below the cliffs.

Specific Feedback Requested

Are we okay on the white plumage? I know it is quite bright but I think there is enough detail.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
ISO 800, 400+1.4 X, F5 .6, 2000th, Sony A1, around 75% of full frame

4 Likes

Hi David,

Pretty cool pose and I encourage the viewers to examine the large version. The eye is remarkable. Well done…Jim

This is awesome, @David_Schoen ! Excellent detail and sharpness, and the light is gorgeous. Not to mention the species and pose, of course :wink: … Congrats on this one - nothing in there that’s not to like ! Cheers,

Agree with @Hans_Overduin that this one is in the awesome category. The colors are all gorgeous, from the slate blue background to the orange crop mouth and the light cocoa in the black throat and face. And what a great belt it out pose.

Very cool, David. Nice catch, nice pose, nice action. There seems to be a touch of loss of detail, blown highlights in the white right at the neckline, but nothing to take away from an awesome image.

The whites look fine and in any case it is a portrait and the head is the star here. Really great color and detail and set off nicely against the watery background.

The whites look good to me – they are a challenge in bright sun, especially with dark features to be balanced. Excellent job on that, I think! The face is remarkable, and especially the eye!