Razorbill

A head on shot of this Icelandic seabird on the cliffs of Westfjords. Sorry about the harsh light and shadows. Certainly an exposure challenge. These Auks can be found on the sea cliffs of New England. Peter; you should keep an eye out for these very cool looking birds.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: Yes
iso 1000, 400 plus 1.4 x, f5.6, 2500th, composite of beak and head to get improved DOF, 60% full frame

2 Likes

Oh wow! I love this photo, David! I love it when a bird is looking straight at the camera! I actually also love the surrounding colors. This is really beautifully done!

Nice head on view and good job on the exposure. Nice sharpness on the head and beak - the composite looks good to me. An attractive subject especially with the white line going across its face.

Hi Dave
The Razorbill is very impressive and the harsh lighting and shadow look fine. To me the white line across the Razorbill’s forehead is the center focal point of this photograph. On the composite were you shacking focus points as one might see in large landscape?
Nice work.
Peter

Nicely done, David. I don’t get to see this species on the West Coast The background color so very complimentary to the bird’s plumage. Nice sunlit profile, the facial shadow is not a bother to me.

I really like this one. No nits at all. Incidentally, the stare reminds me of Robot Got from “The Day the Earth Stood Still” (1951). I expect a laser to activate any second.

At least I know you are as old as I am…

I would not have thought of the robot @Jim_Gavin , though I have seen that movie a thousand times. It’s a great analogy! As for the photo, all the elements of an excellent capture are there. Nicely done.

What an engaging portrait! I had to look closely to find the eyes. (Yup, I’m on the west coast…) The focus stack worked very well!