Redtail Portrait

Dennis Plank and I made another trip to a National Wildlife Refuge in SW Washington two days ago and had some very cooperative raptors as willing subjects.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Any pertinent technical details:

iso 640, 100-400 plus 1.4X at 560 mm, f8, 1000th, Fuji XT3, handheld, around 15 feet to subject from camera, slight hazy overcast but good light. Adobe Camera Raw 11, Topaz AI Clear, TK 6 masks and sharpening action at 5%.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Beautifully detailed shot of this hawk! I think you did good with the bright part of the background. No doubt what he’s been up to looking at his beak. But I’m really drawn to that beautifully clear and focused eye. No nits from me.

Nice portrait. A bit more of a head turn would be better, but I do like it as is.

Excellent processing job, David. I’ve been going through mine and kept urging this bird to turn its head a bit more even though I knew it never did. You did a great job of focusing attention on the eye.

Lovely detail and neat to get the bit of food on the end of the beak David, I do wish for better eye contact though.