Red Tail Portrait & Repost

I don’t know if this works or not; it is an unusual crop and at the close distance I coul not trade oof more DOF for IQ?

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details:

iso 500. 200-500 at 500mm, f7.1, 1000, handheld, full frame, D500, ACR 11.2, Topaz Adjust, TK sharpening at 5%

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

The face and eye are incredible, David. However, the position of the bird, low in the frame, doesn’t seem to work for me as a composition. If it were higher and the wings cut off more, I think it would work better. It’s really a pain when you get detail this good, but the position in the frame just doesn’t want to work.

I agree with Dennis. Thought initially that cropping a lot off top to create a pano might look good but decided that would not work.

Bird portraits are tough to pull off, especially for a hawk. You could do a quarter of the frame as an experimental crop, but it won’t leave you with enough pixels. The head detail is amazing…Jim

Very interesting close up with great detail David, I would crop all of the area on the right that includes sky, still not perfect but it would focus more attention on the face I think.

repost…

This works much better, David. Plenty of detail still available.

Repost held up the IQ David, looks good…