Reaching out for change

This is from a recent foggy morning in my local park. I was drawn to this section of a tree with the yellow leaves starting to brown, signaling the change of seasons. I found this to be hopeful, accepting the change as part of the process of re-growth. Inspired by that I decided to process this somewhat hi key. I also pushed the white balance cooler to help bring out a blue/yellow color contrast.

Specific Feedback Requested

Do you find the overall color palette pleasing or not? Does the use of narrow depth of field help or hinder the image?

Technical Details

1 Like

I lke a lot this type of images, finding great compositions anywhere. Well done! To me the color scheme works well - I like a lot how the branches came out. For me it took a while to get used with the OOF leaves, but then I liked it. To blur the leaves also is in line with your story, the decay of the leaves.

I thing the narrow depth of field gives your image a very ethereal look. The color and light is very pleasing.

Dean, this is a lovely image and scene. Blues and yellows are a good combination and the faded shadows help edge the image towards ethereal as others have mentioned. My only nit would be to crop out the two gaps on the upper right corner. The branch touches the edge of the frame there. Thank you.

Oh nice change of pace, something I’ve been going for myself in some fall photography. This conveys the season well although I associate fog with November and later and so seeing it with these leaves instead of beech, oak or hornbeam is nice. The cooler colors are surprising. I won’t say jarring, but close. Cyan casts are not popular with photos taken in fall where we see and expect warm, toasty colors. So as an artistic choice I’d have to say it’s a bold one in a sense. I agree with the branch edge in the URC being a bit too close to seem deliberate.

Nice image, Dean. I think the DOF is great. Any more and it would look too busy. Well done.

I like the color scheme here and the low contrast look. However, I would have preferred a greater DOF. It’s hard do say how busy that would have made it though.

I like this image, Dean. I like the softness that gives it a peaceful feeling even though the season is changing into winter. I think the bluish tint works very well. Nice job!

Thank you @Ola_Jovall, Eva, @Alfredo_Mora, @Kris_Smith, @David_Bostock, @Igor_Doncov, and @Donna_Callais. Your thoughtful comments are much appreciated.

Hey Dean, I really love this shot and your comment about the color palette, I think it just really enhances the scene and ads a lot to it. There’s just something about hazy, blues and yellows in the same photo. When I first looked at it. I was seeing that shallow depth of field as something as a negative but the more I looked at it the more I like that so I think for that it’s just kind of like a personal preference.

Dean,

Kudos to your for going “out on a limb” with this one - pun intended!

I’ll be honest and say that it took a little time and consideration to appreciate what you’ve seen and captured here. I can certainly see the draw to the changing leaves in the foggy conditions.

I also get mixed signals. You were attracted to the leaves, but the branches are what is in focus. So I guess it’s a combo of the branch structure with fall color accents? The colors are working well for me.

As I mentioned at the start, this has taken some time, but the good news is that it’s grown on me. Great job seeing and capturing something that most might not even consider.

Lon

The toning in this is what immediately caught my eye while scrolling through, so yeah, I think it works pretty well. Helps to create a cool, calm mood to the scene, as well as helps the leaves stand out more. And to answer your question regarding the narrow depth of field, it definitely works well here. Had everything been sharp / in-focus, it would have looked much more cluttered.

Thank you David, @Lon_Overacker, and @Cody_Schultz. Recently I’ve been experimenting with shallow depth of field. I definitely still appreciate sharp focus front to back in certain images, but am enjoying trying out ways to incorporate out of focus elements. Still very much a work in progress so I appreciate hearing the different reactions.

2 Likes