Recollections of Tranquillity

What artistic feedback would you like if any? I am in the final stage of processing and are looking for directions.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

fotomagica3968

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

No comments yet? Wow!

This is fantastic! Right up my alley - and hauntingly familiar, if you scroll back a few pages…

I LOVE this image. That oak(?) tree by itself in these conditions would be killer enough. But I think the fallen, weathered, ancient log across the bottom really adds a LOT of character to the overall impression; that, along with the subtle colors makes this work beautifully (b&w would work, but color for me here.)

When you say you’re in the “final stage of processing…” I’m assuming you mean before printing? I think you could print as is and be very, very happy. But since we’re all here to make our work even better I’ll mention a couple things.

I’m not sure the sliver of snow at the bottom adds; in fact most often than not the brighter edge detracts. I will say though that your processing leaves that snow more towards gray than towards white, and I think that’s a good call. You might consider CA-cloning that little patch of snow on the log in the LRC. It’s a mild eye magnet.

If this were mine (and it’s not…) I might crop off the bottom just enough to eliminate the sliver of snow and maybe even consider a squarish crop from the bottom up. The tree has great form and character as presented and like I said is ready for print. I think the only advantage of a square/crop is bringing the viewer closer to the blowing snow - which is ultimately at the heart of the scene here - and I’ve yet to even mention the blowing snow.

I just love this image and just wish I was standing there absorbing the moment.

Lon

Thank you so much @Lon_Overacker! You helped me finalise this image and over at the landscape gallery you can see the final edit.

This needs to be seen really LARGE to appreciate it. Alas, my laptop doesn’t do it justice so I scroll around and image the full impact.

I’m not sure about the overall effect of the snow on the bottom. One thing is that the logs at the bottom have richer color and tonal value than the rest of the tree and that diverts one’s attention from the tree and driving snow a bit. My first impression is that the image would be better without the logs. But Lon’s enthusiasm makes me think twice. I think the logs in themselves are truly beautiful but it’s a bit like the one person in a choir that sings too loudly.

This is spectacular, Mattias! Processing looks great to me. Works wonderfully as framed but I wonder if it would prefer the image without the sides of the tree cutoff. I would try a B&W conversion as this images seems to be a good candidate. In any event this is a stellar image.

Wow! This is simply gorgeous, Mattias. The blowing snow sets the mood for this character laden tree. I could also see this working with a little wider view so the branches were not cropped off although this is version is fantastic.

@Igor_Doncov Thank you for your reply. I honestly appreciate your points. Regarding color and tonal value I agree that’s true but partly that is because of the distance between them giving the current atmospherical conditions. I have published in the gallery an updated version where the snow at the very bottom is no longer visible.

Thank you @Dave_Dillemuth. Thank you for your feedback. I was obviously distracted while doing the image so I totally missed out on the fact that I was cutting some of branches out meaning I didn’t have that choice. I agree B/W is definitely an option. I have in the galley section posted my final candidate. All the best Mattias

Hi @Ed_Lowe. Thank you for your reply. I was most likely distracted by something at the time of shutter close so I dint register the fact that some of the branches wasn’t in the frame. So unfortunately I dint have that option. I have posted my final candidate in the gallery.

An outstanding example of depicting atmosphere. The subject is intricate on it own, but with the added softness of the blowing snow and the muted background, it takes this to a very evocative photograph. I do not think much else is needed in processing. Especially since you have not given us any idea about what you might have already done to the photo.