Recovery.

original

re-cropped

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

From the Pipestone Canyon Trail, WA. There is evidence of past fire.

Specific Feedback

Seeking any and all advice and comments. Thanks in advance.

Please view the large image!

Technical Details

Canon R7, 1/60 s, f/8, ISO 1000, EF 24-105mm f/4 @ 50 mm, CPL, HH.
Raw file processed in LRClassic and Topaz Photo AI. TK resize/sharpening for web.

Excellent image demonstrating recovery. I like the way the yellow bushes lead us to the burn area. Initially thought there is evidence of a trail in the lower left, but on the largest version it is apparent it is vegetation. The rock in that area does gather a bit of attention. I researched a bit about the Pipestone Canyon trail. I’ve got to return to Winthrop. It’s been a lot of years.

I also like how the yellow draws my eyes towards the burn area, and the greens also add color to contrast with the burn area.
The image seems a bit over sharpened to me, getting that crunch look. Perhaps it’s just my personal taste?

I like the lines and variations of color in this image. It’s attractive and interesting.

I do wonder though if it would be stronger if you cropped out the bottom just above the rock.

Thank you @Jim_Gavin, @kyle and @WillR for you comments. When I first posted, the image looked soft so increased the amount of TK Sharpening. Maybe I went too far. I’ve re-cropped, but not sure if I prefer it or not.

Lovely image. I prefer the uncropped version… the extra space creates a path drawing the eyes into the photo.

I thought a cropped version could improve it, but now that you have provided it, I am not so sure. It seems to divide the scene in 1/2.

Hi Ronald, I love the leading lines and the colors in this image and prefer the uncropped version.

Ronald,

This is a beautiful landscape. Not only the composition, wonderful colors and the way you’ve framed that draws the eye in, and allows the viewer to explore… but this is a wonderful nature story. Absolutely tells the story of recovery, but also reminds us of the ravages of wildfires. Hard to understand it sometimes, but indeed, recovery is exactly what happens - and needs to happen.

Well done! I prefer the original. My only suggestion would be to desaturate the blues, which makes the barren, burned pines more nuetral. For me, the slightly blue cast in those trees should be closer to gray. Minor thought though.

Lon