Red Bellied Woodpecker RePost

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 5DS-R, 100x400 telephoto II with 1.4x extension, f9, 1/800 sec. at 800 ISO.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below. Less Centered subject.
2 Likes

Very pleasant color, detail, levels of saturation, perch, and background. I think it could use a little more room at the bottom and a little less room on the left side; making it a portrait crop rather than a square crop. Very well done. The cropping issue is more of personal preference.

Thanks David, I may have been ahead of you a bit. Leaning the perch and bird to the left looks better to me and the fading out of the perch on both ends looks interesting to me but may not be appealing to others.

Hi Wayne. I like both approaches, though I think the first works better. I can see adding canvas to top and bottom, but woodpeckers like vertical perches, so I don’t see a need to slant it. Also, the fade out at the top has part of the perch offset and looks like a cloning error rather than a fade out.

Very nice with excellent detail and good color. I prefer the original with the woodpecker vertical and the proper ends to the branch.

An excellent capture with great color and detail, John! Here’s another vote for the original version. It just looks more natural for a woodpecker. If you’re not worried about having a perfect square then just shaving a little off the left side would help with the balance but if the square is important then it’s just fine for me.

Hi Wayne, I like the original as well. Love how the crest of the bird is raised up some. A beautiful bird well captured.

Hello, Wayne, what a great WP shot ! Bird is a hammer, and the perch is nice as well. Also I favor the original image, as the Woodpeckers pose on the 2nd seems a little unnatural (forward leaning). Nice work ! Cheers, Hans

Thanks to all for your helpful comments. This is pretty much a natural shot with minimum edits other than removing a large limb on bottom left. Not a lot of bird activity recently, guess they are busy constructing nests.
Wayne