Red Bellied Woodpecker

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Cloudy day with Canon 5Ds-r, f8, 1/640sec, ISO 1600, Aperture Priority at 560mm telephoto with 1.4mm Ex.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below. Thanks Keith, My Repost is slightly different from your very welcomed suggestion. I used crop tool with content aware in Photoshop to extend the area on the left. This does not always work. I also toned down the bright limb on the left.

Thanks,
Wayne

2 Likes

Truly wonderful photo of this woodpecker John. The detail in the feathers is terrific and I like the blurred background. Really helps to make the bird stand out.

Lovely image of the woodpecker. Techs look excellent to me. The composition leaves me wanting a lot more on the left. I took this into PS, did one content aware crop pulling the left side out and hit enter. This is the result. Sometimes, I’m amazed at how well content aware crop works, and this one was a nice surprise with the completed arc of the branch.

1 Like

A beautiful shot of this woodpecker, Wayne. I agree with Keith about more room on the left. I’m pretty amazed with what the content aware did with the perch. I can see where it stole that section of branch, but a little clone or healing tool to cover up the dead giveaway sections would fix that. There are a couple of pretty bright sections on the perch that could be brought down a bit if there’s still detail in them. A beautiful job on the bird and your selection of perches is outstanding.

A very pretty looking bird and a lovely shot. I really like how bird stands out from bg. I like the repost adding some extra room. A really nice pose.

Lovely Woodpecker and I do like the pose and the delicate perch a lot. I assume this was taken from a hide ? Agree with Keiths suggestion and impressed by what PS has worked out :wink: … Either way, a great shot ! Cheers, Hans

Beautiful look at the WP on a great perch and nice contrasty background. I like your re-post with more room on the left.

Thanks Hans, Yes, I use a small hunters stand which allows a small window for my telephoto lens. Also, there are three or four types of limbs used. A chair is used because it can take hours for the right pose on the right limb. My lens is a 100x400 mm with a 1.4x extension which allows about 560mm. The sun is to my back.
Wayne

1 Like

Keith’s edits are an improvement to your comp. I like the soft lighting–bright and brings out the colors of the woodpecker…Jim

Beautiful bird on a nice perch with a nice BG. The repost is an improvement, IMO. PS’s new content-aware tools are amazing. Critique-wise, I wonder if there is any more detail you could wring out of the bird’s head. It doesnt seem quite as sharp as the feet. Perhaps there is a touch of subject movement that your shutter speed couldn’t freeze? Maybe a little selective sharpening just on the head?

Thanks Lyle, good suggestions.

Wayne