Red bellied Woodpecker

What technical feedback would you like if any? All

What artistic feedback would you like if any? All

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 5Ds-r ISO 420, f8, 3/9/20 at 1/640 sec., 560mm.?

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

You caught a nice pose. I like the perch and background as well. Maybe a bit too centered; I’d like to see more space on the right as that’s the direction the bird is looking.

Very good, John. Excellent detail in the woodpecker and a nice pose and perch. I do think the bird could stand to be a bit further left in the frame and some more room on top, if you have it would be nice.

Thanks Guys, See the repost, much better.
Wayne

2 Likes

Excellent image all around! Detail is tack sharp, and that background is sure nice. I think you processed it quite nicely. I was going to mention positioning the woodpecker more on the left side of the frame so it would be less centered, but then I scrolled down and saw your repost. It looks much better! A beauty for sure!

Thanks Jenaya, Your comments are appreciated as I spend a good amount of time in what I call my bird tent.

1 Like

Hello, John, nice image of a wonderful bird. Composition wise I like the repost best. Maybe it’s my eye, but the bird looks a bit oversharpened to me. Other than that a fine image with amazing colours ! Cheers, Hans

A fine job on the repost, Wayne.

Compositionally much better!

I would lower the brightness in the bottom1/3rd background so as to divert more attention to our subject

Also, is there some red ? banding in the upper 1/3 background ?

Nice story - still trying to guess what it is looking at!

John:

I think you’ve received some good advice already on this one. The repost is an improvement, but still too tight for my tastes (that shouldn’t be surprising based on the article that was published today that I authored). The bird is looking up at something… What? That context would be nice to include. Nice details and a very nice shot of the back, but doesn’t help me understand the environment you captured this image in.