Red-breasted Nuthatch

Portrait Version:

This bird visited for a drink and a sunflower seed just long enough for half a dozen frames yesterday morning. I liked this one the best.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m posting the landscape crop with the drip included and a tighter portrait crop with the drip removed. I’m interested in which one people prefer.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
A7Riv, FE200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 694 mm, tripod with gimbal head, f/9, 1/250, iso 2000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. The landscape is cropped to 6728x4496 and the portrait to 3660x4270. There was a fair amount of cleanup to the drip on the landscape version. Other than that, Neat Image for noise reduction and Topaz Detail 3 for plumage enhancement. I added just a bit of punch to the bird with the local adjustment brush in LR at the end. Taken on May 16 at 8:10 AM under overcast skies.

1 Like

Well done. I prefer the portrait version because it’s cleaner. The drip stick in the first image pulls my eye. Processed well. Nice detail.

1 Like

Both excellent shots, Dennis. I don’t have a preference; I like 'em both. Our Red-breasted Nuthatches are gone until next winter.

I like the tighter shot myself and can still see the drip which adds interest. This is a fine portrait with great light and crisp detail, and the nuthatch is positioned nicely a bit off center on the downward sloping branch.

Hi Dennis! Love your little Nuthatch! I like the close up version best. I like the little drip coming from the beak and on the branch right below him. I really love the gray bg with just a hint of a bokeh or 2.