Red-breasted Nuthatch

I started up the feeder station by my blind and it’s been well patronized the last couple of mornings when I’ve gone out to shoot. It looks as if it might be a good winter for Nuthatches, which will be nice as they are one of my favorites.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. Cloned out another bird head and a tiny bit of a feeder in the lower left corner-hopefully it doesn’t show.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 388 mm, gimbal head mounted to blind window, f/8, 1/125, iso 2000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Neat Image for noise reduction. Cropped to 4759x3172 before resizing for the web. Taken at 10:21 am today under overcast skies.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Sweet image with excellent detail and a nice background.

Dennis, I’m curious what your image looked like before applying your NR software. I seem to struggle with noise and your image shows none to my eye and excellent detail is maintained. I can eliminate the noise in LR, but the loss of detail is significant. Thanks.

Hi @Allen_Brooks. Here’s a 100% crop of the image with no adjustments followed by the same with noise reduction applied. I also added a third with the Topaz detail that I applied to the bird included.

1 Like

@Dennis_Plank: Thanks, Dennis, for taking the time to post this. Even at ISO 2000 the noise doesn’t appear that bad. I may have to look at Topaz Detail and Neat Image. Thanks again.

This is such a beautiful bird, Dennis, I can see why it is one of your favorites. I have seen them on the east coast, so assuming they are western. You did a wonderful job in post processing. Thank you for sharing the 3 images. Topaz Details really made the bird colors and details pop. I hope that the Nuthaches keep coming. :+1::+1:

Beautiful bird, Dennis!! You’ve caught a very nice pose and the perch is very good. I am only a little bit uncertain about the squarish OOF background in the UL corner. Is it possible to probably soften it with some kind of blurring? Just to make it less square-ish.

Great image of this adorable species, Dennis. Techs and post-processing look very good with a smooth background. I too find the dark patch in the left side just a little distracting particularly with the nuthatch is looking in that direction. The details near the eye are fantastic and your composition works well too.