Red legged Honeycreeper & RP

30% of full frame, partially cloudy

What technical feedback would you like if any? After being enthralled with Topaz AI Clear for processing plumage, I am finding that if the plumage is really sharp to begin with, this program makes it crunchy so I have basically stopped using it as part of my workflow. The only sharpening here is from TK sharpening action at 10%.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? 2nd image is repost with decreased saturation and contrast.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Iso-800, 500 mm PF, F8, 800th. D 500, no flash, handheld, 30% of full frame

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Thanks for the Topaz tip. I like the image, the colors are maybe to intense…because of saturation or how some colors interact with each other.
We all set our monitors somewhat differently, I have no idea to what extent you and I are seeing the same thing. It makes conversations about color balance and contrast, often pointless.
A situation needing correction.
TY for post.

A beautiful bird, David. I like the second image the best, as the first looks too saturated. Wonderful details. Love that he has something in his beak to eat, it appears. I also use Topaz AI Clear quite a bit now, so will be mindful of what you said. I usually pull the image up to 100% as soon as it finishes it’s process, and slide the opacity slider back until I feel the image is looking good. So far, I don’t think my birds plumage has looked crunchy, but it could be that I don’t get them as tack sharp out of the camera as you do. I also don’t sharpen in LR before I send it over to Topaz, so maybe that is the difference. I will keep my eye out though, as so far I have enjoyed using AI Clear. Thanks for the info.

Hi David, Agree with Shirley on the colors - I like the second image best. Detail has seemed to have held up quite well given the crop. A beautiful subject and nice to see him feeding. A fine background too.

Hi David, I actually like the first image best, but I am in the minority, so maybe something in between the 2, the 2nd looks pretty flat to me. In reality these birds just glow so I feel like the first shot is also closer to reality.

Well, that was my thought but most comments on this shot prefer the less saturated image. And I posted it on another site and got the same less saturated feedback.

Great look at this colorful bird, David. I also prefer the less saturated image. I seem to see more details near the eye in this version. The background really sets up the subject and the DOF seems adequate. I would also experiment with including the bottom end of the perch in the frame, if you have that option.

My first reaction, never having seen the bird, is that I like the first version better. However, when looking at them for awhile, I think a combination of the two might do the trick. I like the eye and the feet in the flatter version, but the plumage in the more saturated version.

Sweet image regardless.

Hi David,

Very nice images. I like the colors of the first image over the second. Average the two out regarding saturation and will make the best print. Very well done…Jim