Red-throated Diver

Since we have been seeing a fair number of Loon photos lately, I thought I would post this because it is different. This was taken in the rain under fairly cloudy conditions. Shot from an open car window in North Central Iceland. According to Sibley, these Loons do show up on the East and West Coast of the US but I have never seen one or seen a photograph of one locally. In Europe and Iceland, Loons are referred to as Divers.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
ISO 1250, 400+1.4 X, F6 .3, 1250th, 40% of full frame

Nice variation on a theme! I’ve never seen one either…just the common loons, which seems to refer to their attractiveness to photographers rather than widespread dispersal. I can see how this species is adapted for northern areas that might have gray skies more often or maybe flatter water. So cool that you didn’t have to get out of the car. You could try inverting the exposure here - lightening the bird and darkening the water. Just a thought.

When I first heard the term diver in a novel I was reading, I was confused at first then based on context I figured it must mean a loon. A quick google search proved I was correct in my assumption.

Thanks for the advice on the inverse. The bird definitely looks brighter on the TIF image than it does on the posted JPEG.

Fascinating bird and great work on the tonality change!

Very good, David. Nice pose and eye contact. The tonality of the bird does look better to me in the repost based on seeing them in Nome (where, of course, they’re called Red-throated Loons).

Nice catch of an interesting bird David. Love that red eye corresponding to the red throat. Good job on the repost.