Redbud and Dogwood

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This image is from a recent quick one day trip to Shenandoah NP, VA which my brother and I had planned for a rain event while the redbuds and dogwoods were in bloom. We thought about sticking around for an additional day, but the forecast was for cloudless skies so we decided to just leave the next morning.

We didn’t have a lot of luck as it turned out to be a bit windy so we just had to wait around for some lulls in the wind. It would have been nice to have a little fog to get some separation from the BG, but you take the hand you are dealt. The scene is a bit chaotic and I took a few images before I found one that I thought would work. I particularly like the graceful curve of the dogwood so I tried to organize all the diagonal lines of the tree trunks and flowering buds into something pleasing. I would love your thoughts on whether this works or not.

Specific Feedback

I value all your C&C so thanks for taking a moment and leaving your thoughts.

Technical Details

Nikon Z7, Nikon 24-200 @ 115mm, f 11 @ 1/15 sec, ISO 100, CPL, tripod and cable release.

1 Like

Ed,I had to do something with this beauty. To make it more powerful and close (compact?) IMHO. I did a rework and did crop it a bit. I hope you like it.
Ben

2 Likes

Oh, this is wonderful. A crisscross of white and purple. I can understand Ben’s crop to remove some of the trunk on the right but I like the open non flower green patches in the original.

1 Like

Beautiful spring mix Ed. I’m on the fence about Ben’s crop. Both are wonderful signs of spring.

1 Like

This is beautiful, Ed. I love the soft purple redbud intertwined with the dogwood set against that green background. Fog would have helped soften the background but really, it’s not a big deal. I would dodge the darkest of the trunks and branches, particularly the one that Ben cropped off on the right side. You could also do a square crop that removes the heavy right side of the image and focuses more on just the flowers. Not sure if this is better but it’s different. I’m at work so I can’t dodge the dark areas but I would also dodge the darkest areas in this crop as well.

3 Likes

Many thanks to everyone @Ben_van_der_Sande, @Igor_Doncov, @Eva_McDermott and @David_Haynes for your thoughtful C&C as it is always appreciated. I am glad everyone enjoyed the image.

@Ben_van_der_Sande : I do like your version as well. I appreciate you taking the time to do a rework. You gave me another direction to take this.

@David_Haynes : Thanks for taking the time to do a rework. I think your version nailed it for me as it simplified the scene down to just the flowers and that graceful curve of the dogwood which I liked so much

Nice intimate scene, Ed. The red and white colors make na nice mixture and stand out well from the green BG. This turned out a lot better than I thought it would. I was not satisfied with any of mine and deleted them all.