Redpoll

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Yesterday morning while out in the dunes, I ran into some Redpolls.

Specific Feedback

Any

Technical Details

Nikon Z9 with 500mm f4 | 1/1250s | f4 | ISO1800 | underexpose 1/3EV. As I had forgotten to bring my monopod I had to shoot handheld which was not ideal in this case.

3 Likes

Looks like a great subject for the current Weekly Challenge, Hans. Nice simple composition and the grayish background sets of the colors of the bird admirably.A beautiful image.

I have never heard of such a bird, and what a delight! So cute and charming, and posing for you as well. Thank you for sharing.

Hans, I’ve never seen this bird. What a wonderful pose and composition. Well done!

What a cool looking bird. I have never seen one of these. The details are very nice and those colors…just wow. Very clean backgroud that nicely sets this beautiful bird off. I cant think of anything that can improve this one except to send this bird over the pond so I can photograph it. :sweat_smile:

Hi Hans, love the fluffy pose and intricate feather detail. Looks great. The spikey perch is nice too. Well composed with the bird in the upper right. Pleasing background. A real beauty. Well done.

1 Like

Gorgeous shot of a totally sweet and cute bird!! I love it when cute little birds perch with that fluffy overweight look! The rugged perch is such an unexpected element, and the neutral BG (and perch) make the bird look all dressed up for a party!

1 Like

Excellent pose and detail. The perch and background set the bird off well. I wonder if this is the same species of Redpoll seen in North America?

1 Like

Thanks all ! @Allen_Brooks : I would say ‘yes’, but there’s some debate whether or not this species has subspecies, or whether it’s merely variation within. Latest research shows that there’s no genetic differences, but the debate is still not closed.

I keep watching for the redpolls to come back for the winter and always tell myself that I need to make an effort to photograph them, but I never do even though it just means going to sit in the yard. This makes me realize my stupid, lazy mistake. What a joyous little bird. All fluffed up and owning it. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like