Yellow-rumped Warbler

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A common bird, but I like the background and perch which seems to complement the bird well.

Specific Feedback

Any thoughts appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 at 500 mm; 1/1000 at f7.1; ISO 800

1 Like

Beautiful image, Allen. You have a good pose, nice slight head turn, creamy background and very nice perch. The only thing I can recommend is to burn the perch a little bit as it appears pretty bright to me. Nice job.

Lovely photo, Allen. I love the post on the warbler, the color palette of the background is so right with the bird, and the textures of the perch and the feathers is lovely. I agree with @David_Haynes that the perch is a bit too bright, and needs some toning down by either burning in PS or lowering the highlights in LR and using a brush to paint that change on the perch.

Great pose and head turn, Allen. I love the perch, but you might want to pull down the highlights on it just about as far as they’ll go. I don’t like just burning bright perches like this as they seem to turn gray.

Allen,

I love the spatial balance in this photo. The colors and textures are just perfect. Frame it!

Dan

Nice catch!! I hate it when perches do that, which is very often. Going all the way left with highlights and all the way right with shadows might calm down the branch and give the cute little butter-butt a punch. After that, some local adjustments could make a nice image even better. I’d love to see a little space under the branch if you have it. Might be an easy one for adding a bit of canvas.

Thanks @David_Haynes , @brenda_tharp , @Dennis_Plank , @Daniel_Mulkey , @Diane_Miller for your comments and recommendations. I did work on the perch highlights, but didn’t go far enough. I’ll see what I can do.

1 Like

Hi Allen, love the pose and composition with the bird on the highest part of the perch. Nice BG. This yellow rump is browner than what I am used to seeing in the winter down south. In any event, toning down the perch is a good idea for this fine image. Nice catch.

1 Like