Yellow-rumped Warbler and re-post

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I like the look of the warbler and the background, but not so sure about the perch. It seems a bit heavy for the bird. I thought of cropping some off the bottom, but felt the warbler needed some room beneath it.

Specific Feedback

Any thoughts appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 with 1.4 TC at 700 mm; 1/1000 at f10; ISO 6400

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Realy nice pose and colours on this fellow, I don’t mind the perch - that’s what he chose.
I think a little more room behind the bird would be good.
There are a few odd processing glitches in the larger version - halos, and , to the left of the eye an odd area at the edge of his head. Another to the right and just below his tail.
Otherwise, a very sweet shot!

1 Like

The bird looks great Allen. Nice sharp image. I think the BG looks a bit too artificial and there are a few glitches around the perch and the top of the bird’s head that you could clean up. I really like the little lichen at the bird’s feet.

1 Like

Potentially a very nice capture with a nice pose. The perch is OK for my taste but the crop feels too tight. A little CW rotation would feel good and remove a bit of the base of the perch. But the processing has problems. I’d go back to the raw file and rework it watching where the glitches mentioned above came in and do those steps differently. It’s very rare that sharpening can provide a benefit. And even rarer than blurring a BG works well. And the selection process for working on a BG can be very tedious. Most of this “AI” stuff is still highly overrated.

1 Like

Beautiful pose and it looks like you caught wonderful detail in the bird. The processing somehow gives the impression that you used one of the Oil painting filters, particularly on the perch. That can be fun and effective, but I don’t think you intended to get that look in this image. I agree that a looser crop would be nice here.

1 Like

Thanks for the input, @SandyR-B , @Ed_Williams , @Diane_Miller , and @Dennis_Plank . I’ve reposted this based on your thoughts. First of all, this is heavily cropped, but not as tight as before. I first did NR in DXO and then fairly minimal processing in LR. In PS I removed a few extraneous branches, but left in the part of the tree on the left and sharpened the warbler using the high pass filter at 70%. I did no processing on the perch and I think some of the oil painting effect Dennis mentioned is how it looks in nature or at least out of the camera. Hopefully this is a case where less is more.

So much better!! The square end of the BG piece on the left is a little distracting – I wonder about a crop from the left to just the point where it meets the nearer perch.

1 Like

Yep! Nice job with the repost Allen. I like this very m uch.

1 Like

I like the repost a lot, Allen.

1 Like