Yellow-rumped Warbler and re-post

Specific Feedback Requested: Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; Sigma 150-600 at 600 mm; 1/1000 at F8.0, -1/3 EV; ISO 800

1 Like

A very colorful scene. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a YRW in such pretty plumage. I like the inclusion of the flowers, and I like where you placed the bird at the bottom of the frame. But the brightest flowers and the yellow on the bird seem a touch overexposed. I’m also seeing a good amount of noise.

Thanks, Lyle, for your thoughts. Here’s a re-post (sort of) : same bird and setting taken less than a second later. Decreased the exposure a tad and ran some noise reduction. Also, I think the warbler is a bit sharper in this frame.

A beautiful setting for a very colorful bird, Allen. I like the second post marginally better. The near wing patch looks like a portion of it might be oversaturated-easy enough to check and it can probably be brought down if necessary. They are pretty gaudy this time of year.

1 Like

Gorgeous setting! The second does seem a bit sharper, but hard to tell without toggling between layers. Same for the yellows – getting detail in them can be a challenge.

I wonder about cropping from the top to remove the dark area and center the bird a bit more.

1 Like

I also prefer the second post as I find it with more sharpness and less saturation in the yellow plumage. This is a well colored Yellow Rump Warbler and it looks nice in the presented setting. I might crop up it in from the right side to give it more of a rule of two thirds appearance.

I think all the IQ issues stem from the photo not being resized. Check the below: resized to 1600PX on the long end, selected the bird and sharpened it with Smart Sharpen at 92 amount and 0.2 radius, inverted the selection and ran some NR on the background, voila. To my eye, the IQ is very good.

1 Like

Allen, I love this shot with the low key background with the great colors for Spring to be. Great detail. I recently shot a much younger Warbler but could not identify it but your example helps me a lot.
Thanks, Wayne

1 Like

Very nice and spring-feel image, Allen ! Lovely colors throughout the image. Cheers, Hans

1 Like