Yellow-rumped Warbler and re-post

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A common bird, but for some reason, I usually don’t see it in this plumage.

Specific Feedback

Any thoughts appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 with 1.4 Tx at 700 mm; 1/1000 at f10; ISO 2000

Nice bird on a matching perch, Allen. A bit more space around the bird might be worth trying, but for me it works as posted. Did you work on the BG? It looks a little ‘painted’ but not distractingly so. Either way a pleasant image to the eye! Cheers, Hans

Thanks, @Hans_Overduin , for your kind words. The background is pretty much as photographed, though I did clone out a couple of protruding branches.

1 Like

Lovely bird, pose, perch and BG! It’s all there. But I long for more room on the left and less on top.

1 Like

Beautiful perch and a great head turn, Allen. I really like the background. The yellows look a bit overdone to my eye, but it might just be me. There is a lot of variation in this species. I would also like some more room on the left if you can provide it.

1 Like

Thanks, @Hans_Overduin , @Diane_Miller , and @Dennis_Plank for you comments and suggestions. Here’s a repost with more room on the left and some reduction in the yellow highlights.

2 Likes

Nice job, Allen. I really like the repost.

1 Like

So do I — much more balanced now.

1 Like

To me the repost looks better, nice re-work ! Cheers, Hans

1 Like

So much better with added canvas on the left. I think it could use a little bit more up top as well on the repost. Wonderful background. Looks like an impressionistic painting. I also love the seed pod on the branch of the perch. Terrific. What a beautiful chest and face. Those yellows really stand out. Thanks for sharing this one.

1 Like

Nice work Allen! My first thought was same as others about not enough room, but saw the repost and it is much better. I am not normally a big fan of square crops, but it seems to work for this image.

1 Like