Reflections

I’m not sure if it counts as twilight, but I do like the reflection of the predawn light on the ripples of the lake.

Besides wondering if predawn it actually “twilight?” I am also wondering if it has too much going on? Too many reeds? Is the composition too boring? Any other thoughts, comments or suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Nikon D7200, f/11, 1/30sec., iso 200, 28-300mm @190. Tripod and remote release.

2 Likes

I’m not going to answer any of your questions. I just like the photo.

I think twilight is the time just before sun begins to rise above the horizon and just after it has set. Not too busy for me.

Hi Linda … I really like your composition and the soft colorful light reflecting on the ripples. If I was to make any suggestions it would be to crop the right hand side of the image to remove the reed that cuts the edge of the frame (or alternatively remove it) … it just draws my eye away from the center of the image. Overall a lovely shot.

Beautiful light and scene, Linda. I would be inclined to clone out the reed and reflection cutoff on the right side to give a little edge buffer and I would crop out the shoreline at the top. I love the tranquil mood to the image, very well done.

Linda, predawn is twilight and there’s a lovely peacefulness about this view. The changing reflection colors capture the sky and horizen (black) well while the reeds provide a fine focus. No, there are not too many.

Saying there are too many reeds makes me think of what Emperor Joseph II might have said to Mozart after hearing a piece of music - “too many notes”. Impossible. There are just as many as need to be there.

I like the orange in this. Lots of times we see blue reflected, but the orange is more inviting to me. Soothing. I like where you have it placed, too. I can almost see you stretching up and bending down to catch it just right. Nice.

Thanks, @Ronald_Murphy , @Jon_Norris, @Harley_Goldman, @Jim_Gavin and @Mark_Seaver for taking the time to comment. I’ve always thought of “twilight” as an evening event and had not associated it with dawn, so thanks for the clarification. Harley and Jon, yes, thanks for point out the cut off reeds on the right. One of the aspect I appreciate about NPN is how others can look at the same image and see from different points of view. One other thought, Harley, I have put on my calendar to get my eyes checked . . … . I never even saw the shoreline! . . .Not until I way over exposed the image in PS. Thanks again for point this out to me.

1 Like

Hey Linda, I really like this shot. It makes me think of an early morning launch of the bass boat and enjoying the quiet as the sun comes up. My only suggestion would be to crop down just a little from the top to eliminate some of the dark.

Kris, I apologize for not responding sooner, I’ve just now seen your comment. Thank you very much for your kind thoughts.

Thanks, @Merle_Cook. Appreciate your thoughts. Yes, the top portion of the image is a bit heavy, Harley had mentioned cropping off the shoreline, and after having cropped that it is better. Thanks again.