"Regal Plumes"

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All comments are valued.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All comments are valued.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Sony A7R4, Metabones Smart Adaptor, Canon 70-200mm, 1/1500 sec @ f/8, 138mm, ISO 800.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

dougbluntphotos

2 Likes

Wow…that’s a beautiful image! I really appreciate the simplicity of the scene…no distractions at all. The understated color is just fantastic. The image is relatively low-key with the exception of the bird which is nicely contoured by the soft light. I wouldn’t change a thing. Cool shot and nicely processed.

Nicely done Doug…I like the dreamy feel of the image. The plumes of the egret add a lot of interest and there is just enough view of the eye for me to stay engaged with the bird as it looks out on the scene. I also like the subtle variations in the water and the reflection of the log. Well done.

This seems to be quite underexposed for my taste, Doug, but the composition is quite cool. I wish the head is angled more towards us.

Thank you all for your commentary!!!

Thank you, Adhika, for pointing out the underexposed part. My vision was to have the bird exposure and highlights up…to draw the eye to the focal point. The interesting thing is, it shows much brighter on phones than it does on a computer. Since so many people are viewing my photography via phones, I tend to have it a little under on my iMac screen, so it brightens up for the phones. I probably could do different versions…but I’m a little lazy to do that right now :wink:

Very good image. It looks good on a windows desktop with calibrated monitor. Thanks for sharing.

Hi Doug. I love the lighting in this image, and the pose and perch work very well. I dowloaded this one and played with the composition a bit in PS. You might look at taking a sliver off the bottom and adding a little canvas on the right. It seemed to produce a bit more balanced feel.

Lovely image, I do like the dark mood a lot ! Quite an artistic approach. Agree Adhika on the head turn, but what can you do ? All in all a very nice one ! Cheers, Hans

Doug
This is so elegant. Really artistic!

Thank you all very much :slight_smile:

Killer shot! If it were mine, I’d raise the exposure some is all.

Missed this the first time around, just saw it on the front page. Really like this one. Has an artistic feel and could see this framed and hung in a gallery. Great work.