Reminders of Hope

What makes this image expressive?

It is often said that rainbows are symbols of hope after the passing of a storm. This has been especially true in Idaho this summer where wildfires and smoke have been ever present. The dark and ominous storms and the associated danger of lightning pass through but nature reminds us that this is temporary and its beauty will soon return.

Specific Feedback Requested

All feedback is much appreciated!

3 Likes

A very warm welcome to NPN Ron, I appreciate you sharing your image with us today.

Absolutely, rainbows are just amazing to see, and every time I do, I always get a little rush and a desire to photograph them. Why is that you think?

Is there a pot of gold (That rancher is rich if there is!) - or is it a little nod back to our childhood when we still believed in magic and fairy stories. Whatever it is, it is most certainly a function of luminosity, contrast, geometry, atmosphere and colour.

All five of them wrapped up in a sweeping arc of magic.

Of course we always have to show them at their most splendid, and this can be a dangerous trap.

In years gone by, our cameras had a huge impact on how a scene was rendered. If you shot this scene with Fuji Velvia, it would probably look pretty much like this; saturated and intense. Different film choices would shift the colours, or lower the contrast.

With digital, all those choices are now in our hands. A RAW file is data with potential and it is up to us on how we wish to articulate the scene.

For me, this image is a little oversaturated, and it gives the impression of trying just a little too hard. This isn’t a criticism, it is just a consequence of the processing. It is easy when we sit in our offices to get accustomed to a scene and our eyes adjust to colour and saturation. It is easy for me to process an image and then look at the next day and feel it is overdone.

I’d allow a little time to reflect on a scene before making a final adjustment. Or, use saturation more locally to make some parts less saturated. The overall image will improve and it will be easier on the eye.

Looks like a beautiful moment to have witnessed.

Thanks so much Alister for your kind words and with the helpful candor of your suggestions. I find that saturation and vibrance are the part of post processing that I struggle with the most since getting back into photography a few years back after a long hiatus. I believe that practicing a bit more patience and reflection will go a long way to helping me with this . Thanks again for taking the time for these critiques!

1 Like

You’re very welcome, and I appreciate you taking it with the spirit of my intention. Best wishes,