Repost - (ICM) Autumn Walnut Grove

Repost 1- Here is a crop of the image as suggested. I brought the crop in further than just the 2 trees on the right to create a better balance. The heal tool was used to fix the dark branch on the right and prevent it from leading the viewers eye out of the frame.

Repost 2- As suggested by Dianne I used generative fill to expand the canvas.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

After spending the day at mundane house chores and repairing my web site I had an urge to get out with the camera. The day was heavy overcast and fast getting dark as sunset approached. My walk took me along a trail that borders an abandoned walnut grove. The luminosity of the pale tree trunks and last vestiges of autumn color caught my eye.

Technical Details

Canon R10 with RF-S 18-150 lens. Hand held.
ISO 100
f/13
0.3 Sec

Paul, what a nice monochrome you created. Besides the color palette, I love the texture that appears in the image. The edit has a grainy/wood look that makes it very appealing to me. I do not see any specific request for feedback. I hope you won’t mind my offering one suggestion. The two trees on the right side of the frame do not seem to offer any particular strength to your image. I would have experimented with a different crop eliminating them. I think that would make the composition even stronger.

Lovely image, Paul. I really like the way the motion created a background that comes so close to simulating wood grain-so appropriate to the image. The two main trees that look like they’re layered on the main texture add a lot and for an abstract, this image tells a great story. I agree with Egidio that a crop in from the right to eliminate those two trunks on the edge would enhance the image.

Wonderful!! I love the color and the soft tones – the essence of "trees"comes through with a very nice quality of abstraction. Old walnut groves can be very interesting, with the soft quality of the bark. I like the vertical lines in a horizontal format. I like the interesting trunks on the right but wish they weren’t so close to the edge. I encounter this situation too often and if there isn’t enough room for a good content-aware fill I’ll add some canvas and clone or copy a piece from elsewhere in the frame. Could also be possible to remove the dark angled branch and copy the two trunks to closer to the dark tree then crop from the right. You’re a painter now – all’s fair in art!

Egidio, Thank you. If I did not welcome feedback, I would not be posting on a site with ‘critique’ in the name. I went back and forth about the cropping before posting the full version. I decided to see what others thought. Check out the repost for the results of the suggestions I have received so far.

Thank you Dennis, See repost.

Dianne, Thank you for the feedback. I took your suggestion for one version of the repost. I was surprised and pleased to discover the new ‘Generative Expand’ feature in Photoshop. Hard to keep up with all the changes. I would have in the past used the procedure you described, expand canvas and then clone.

As seems common with abstract images, Paul, both of your reposts are excellent and both work very well.

Paul, I like both new edits you posted. My preference would be the smaller crop instead of the generative expand. However, it is a toss for me. Both are nice and well balanced.

I probably should have emphasized the word “specific” in my original note. I mentioned that because often a photographer will use the section for specific feedback to ask questions about saturation, crop, etc. Anyway, I’m glad you did not mind my suggestion.

I’m greedy by nature so I really like the version that preserves the rightmost trees! They are so nice, I’d hate to see them cropped out. And threes are often more interesting than twos.

I’m late to the discussion. I tend to agree with Diane on the second one with the generative fill helping to balance out the scene. Excellent work Paul. The image has so many great details and the uniform colors really strengthen the image.