Repost Wood Stork Audubon Swamp

REPOST

Wood Stork Full Frame

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I just returned from working in the Carolinas for three weeks and visited several rookeries on the weekends.

Specific Feedback

I always have trouble with white birds getting blown out. On this trip, I concentrated on White Ibis and Wood Storks for that reason.
Your thoughts
Thanks

Technical Details

The whites look good to me, Steve, and I like the pose you got . On the portrait, I’d be tempted to put the bird on a separate layer and go over the background with the blur tool just a bit to smooth out the roughness in it a trifle, but that’s just my taste.

White birds are one of the reasons I almost always shoot in Manual. I set up my exposure to just avoid blowing out something white in the brightest light in the area (unfortunately, there’s almost always something available-usually man-made) and then don’t worry about it unless the light changes.

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank
I blurred the background as suggested and liked it much better.
Redo is the top image.
Thanks again
Steve

Great job on the redo, Steve.

1 Like

Hi Steve, nice job on the whites - they can be tricky especially against a dark BG. Repost looks good to me as well. A really interesting bird that I have NO shots of so seeing this is a real treat.

1 Like

Thanks @Allen_Sparks
Which do you prefer, the portrait or the wide?
Steve

I’d say I like the up close view in the portrait best. I like both compositions though.