Resident Groundhog

I was retrieving the memory card from my trail cam when I turned and noticed I was being observed by my resident groundhog, Phyllis. She didn’t appear overly concerned that I was only about 30 feet from her. She watched me a bit, then went about her business as if I wasn’t there. I suspect I will be seeing some pups, soon.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM @ 160mm, f/9.5, 1/250 sec., ISO 800, Hand Held. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and sharpness. Topaz De-noise applied.

Phyllis! She’s great and seems to be checking on you thoroughly. Great texture in the fur and those teeth! I’d try darkening the white rock and possibly cropping out the building in the URC. Does she have a den in the rocks or elsewhere? It would be great to see the youngsters when they arrive.

1 Like

Thanks, Yeah, I got in a bit of a hurry to post and didn’t notice the corner of that building until after I posted it. Yes, she has had a den in those rocks for a number of years. I’ve included another photo of her here at one of the entrances. For the last week or so, she has been gathering leaf debris and such and taking it back to the den - I assume to line it for the little ones that are coming. I’ve been trying to get a good image of her with a face full of leaves, etc… It’s pretty comical.

Squirrels here do the same and it always gives me a little laugh. Hope you catch her at it!

1 Like

I really like the lower POV and rocky BG.
I like the idea of @Kris_Smith , darkening the white rock. Seeing some blue cast in the Groundhog.

1 Like

Thanks, Jagdeep. I’ll have a look at the color tone.

Terry, what a great up-close look at the ground hog. Sounds like she’s used to your presence. The rocks make a fine setting.

Thanks, Mark. She’s cautious, but not terribly alarmed at my presence. She’s accustomed to seeing me around, I think.