Peanut Thief

I often place raw peanuts on these stumps for the birds, but we haven’t had any rain for a month, with temps in the upper 90’s and 100’s. Most of the vegetation the groundhogs munch is burnt to a crisp. This girl is looking to make an easy meal of some peanuts - even if she must stand on tip-toes to get them.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any. Just wanted to share what I thought was some cute behavior.

Technical Details

Canon 60D, Canon 70-300 IS USM Zoom @ 80mm, ISO 1250, 1/1000 sec., f/4.5. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz De-noise applied.

2 Likes

A nice catch, Terry. I love the behavior and the story behind it.

Such a cute capture, Terry! I love the look on her face, like she knows she got caught but it’s not going to stop her anyway!

Hi Terry! This is cute and a good story too. Makes me feel for the groundhog, and for you. Nice capture, and I hope the temps cool down a bit for you.

Great catch, Terry. Very fun.

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank. Glad you liked it.

I had the exact same thought, @Vanessa_Hill . Caught with her hand in the cookie jar. I was standing in the walk-in door of my garage, so I slowly backed away and shut the door, and let her finish. Thanks!

Thanks, @Steve_Kennedy. Unfortunately, there is no relief in sight in the next ten days, at least. Temps ranging from 100-106 every day, and no rain. It must be miserable for the wildlife.

Thanks, @David_Bostock !

1 Like

Nice catch. Sorry about your weather. I spent two weeks in Little Rock in July about 40 years ago and it not only had the heat but it was the most humid place I have ever been. Do you have similar humidity in your part of Oklahoma?

Thanks @David_Schoen. Our weather is similar to LR; they are about 4 hours south and east of us. We get our share of humidity for sure, and our share of heat, but this is very unusual weather for us. To go 30 days and counting without any measurable rain is entirely atypical for us.

Good story and cool capture !
I wish you were more sideways (to the left) so that we could see more of her face.
Standing on tip-toes is very interesting, a lower POV would have resulted in better image.

Thanks, Jagdeep. Yeah, I was limited in what I could do. I was standing in the walk-in door to my garage, only about 15 feet from her, with a limited field of view. Much movement on my part would probably have spooked her.