Robbing the Birds

We have 4-5 deer hanging around this winter and they are regular visitors at my bird feeding station. They do a wonderful job of keeping the ground cleaned up-there’s rarely any seed on it in the morning, but they do have hearty appetites. This youngster was cleaning up peanut butter intended for the Chickadees, Juncos, etc. It didn’t mind the flash a bit.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. I cloned out the tip of a piece of rebar that supports the feeding pole.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I toned down the brighter upper areas of the background-was it sufficient? How’s the composition?

Any pertinent technical details:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 260 mm, gimbal head mounted to blind window, f/8, 1/250, iso 2500, manual exposure, fill flash at -2 2/3 EV. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped from the right and top to 4824x3354 for composition. Taken at 8:46 am on January 3rd under cloudy skies.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

A great close up look at this deer, Dennis. Excellent details in his fur. I can see the peanut butter on the tree. I haven’t tried any peanut butter to attract any birds. I think I would be getting fire ants here in NC!

You probably would get ants. I only use it in the winter here and our ants aren’t very active then.

1 Like