Return to Glory

Description:

Fall is everyone’s favorite season and I’m no different. This is my favorite bit of the Harrison Hills Segment of the Ice Age Trail. I go here almost every year in fall because…well, because where better to see, smell and hear the wonders of autumn?

There are little lakes and ponds dotted throughout the trail and they are amazing with color and reflections, but for me the forest holds the key. My favorite time in fall is when there is still green in the undergrowth and I do my best to bring that to bear in my photos. This is one of my favorites. I wanted to present dappled sunlight and the way open space ahead or at least the idea of open space can create an inviting image. Totally overcast skies don’t help create depth the way direct sunlight does in the forest. The waving little maple in the lower right just speaks to me as does the hill and the atmosphere of joy I feel when I look at this shot and remember.

Specific Feedback Requested:

It was carefully processed, but I hope doesn’t stray into the bounds of the artificial. At least not too far.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? No

Tripod and maybe a polarizer, but I can’t recall.

Processed in Lr for just a little bit of white and black point adjustment and curves, wb, lens correction and this crop. A couple of graduated filters to smooth highlights and shadows and a little brushwork here and there to emphasize certain elements.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@the.wire.smith

What a lovely segment of trail, leading me off into the trees to explore! This is indeed a lovely season, with the grass still green and the colored leaves. It’s not processed too far for me, but then I’m probably always in an altered state when out in the woods. Who of us here isn’t?

Lovely! The leaf-covered trail is so inviting. The greens of the leaves in the uppermost part of the frame feel a bit too green/too bright to me. Maybe just a touch of desaturation and darkening.

This really makes me want to hike this trail. And it has such a cool name. I’m off to read about the Ice Age Trail.