Rhododendron indicum (southern indian azalea)

Natural light inside Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, Pittsburgh, PA.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D-850, 20-85 mm f/3.5-4.5 Nikon @ 85mm, 1/50 @ f9.0, ISO 800, hand held.

Processed with LR Classic, Adobe Raw, Adobe PS.

#paulgwiegman

1 Like

Great composition of flowers with leaves. To my eyes it looks a little dark, and could have a little Brightness added - but I’m new here myself, so see what others think.

Thanks Mike. I appreciate the input. I’ll give it a little more on the highlights to see what happens. Being new to the community doesn’t diminish the importance of your opinion.

Lovely presentation of a difficult subject to photograph… at least for me. The darkness of the background brings more attention to the delicate flowers and eliminates distractions to the subject. Nicely done.

Thank you, Patricia, I appreciate your comments. I’ve attached a photograph of the original plant Rhododendron indicum. It’s quite spectacular. I had a lot of blossoms to chose from. I worked the edge of the plant and used the darker space to the left for the background. This is Phipps Conservatory & Botanical Gardens in Pittsburgh. After slowing my freelance work, I offer them to volunteer time with their electronic and print media. I spend one or two days a week there, so I have a lot of great subject matter throughout the year. Most of the time is the rooms and gardens, but there have been special events now and then. I had a chance to photograph the G-20 a couple of years ago which was quite exciting. Again, thanks for your kind note.

This is quite beautiful, Paul. A delicious first post on NPN - Welcome! I like this as presented, but played with it to lighten just a couple of areas since Mike felt it was a little dark. I really like the dark surrounding area, and I just applied a very light dodge to some of the darker petals and leaves.

Outstanding capture of a difficult flower to capture, at least for me. The black bg behing the flower really makes the bloom realy stand out. Larry

Thank you Larry. The most difficult part of making the photograph was to find a lone flower that wasn’t bunched with others. When you scroll through the replies there is a photograph of the whole plant. Thanks again.