Rhododendron

The rhododendrons are in bloom along the Great Allegheny Passage Trail between Cumberland, MD and Pittsburgh, PA. In places the sides of the trail are a solid wall of deep green, leathery leaved shrubs with brilliant explosions of white blossoms.

When biking trails like this, it’s not the destination, but the journey.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments are more than welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
iPhone 8, processed with Lightroom Mobile.

1 Like

This is a wonderful capture, within the limitations of the iPhone. I think the main flower is so wonderfully and subtly lighted that the ones in the BG are a bit distracting. I’m wondering about some cropping from the left but hard to find the perfect place for it.

1 Like

Paul: I like the comp with the prominent main bunch and the supporting BG blooms. I did crop this a touch and flipped it horizontally. We in the west tend to favor a left to right flow in images probably because we learn to read and write left to right so our eyes move more naturally and habitually in that direction. Certainly a matter of personal taste but back to you. >=))>

Another big rhodie shot that reminds me of home. Not much in the way of laurels here. I wish this had some softness in it. That’s how these have always felt to me and so this seems alien and harsh. I like Bill’s reversal though.

1 Like

I’m catching up on comments since I finally have decent WiFi. Thanks @Diane_Miller - I understand what you are saying about the extra buds. The crop is difficult, but @Bill_Fach did a nice job, along with a flip. Bill, thanks for the comments and crop. I like what you did. Usually keep the image the way it was photographed, but the flip is interesting. @Kris_Smith - Take a look at the image I posted today. At your suggestion I pulled back on the clarity and sharpening. From my other body of work I so used to trying for task-sharp flowers I forget to back-off when I’m outside of that realm. Thanks to all of yinz (that’s how we talk in Pittsburgh.).