Forest Rhody

Repost in response to comments … see below for words

This spring I took my first COVID-era outing to the Miller Peninsula of Washington, where I knew I would find bigleaf rhododendron. It really felt good to be out, pushing through the high brush to find a few fine scenes. Rain and clouds were forecast for most of the area, but I arrived to find bluebird weather. But the forest canopy filtered most of the direct light.

My intent for the image is to convey the harmonious beauty of the flowers, foliage, and forest environment.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments valued. I know the composition is unconventional, but to me, it seems to be cohesive.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5DIII EF 24-105 f/4 at 24mm 1/13 sec f/13 ISO 500
Lightroom processing, largely to deal with distant bright sky and foliage.

knudson633

Dick: A wonderful scene very nicely rendered. The play of light and shadow is handled well. :+1: :+1:>=))>

I think you mostly got it. These kinds of scenes are notoriously chaotic, but by using some of the bigger leafy bits as anchors, you’ve mitigated some of that. I wish the middle flower was either not there at all or entirely visible. Not much you can do, I know. You could try deepening the shadows a little - it seems a bit off in this regard. Also the white balance seems a bit on the warm side, but that might have been the way it was. These big rhodies are wonderful. Many years ago I shot Great Laurel in southern NH - one of the only remaining stands and it was an experience I still think about.

Oh, did you use a polarizer btw? That might be contributing to the relative flatness in the luminosity values. Not displeasing, but definitely noticeable.

1 Like

This is Rhododendron time. You’re gotten yourself into the right place, but I agree with @Kris_Smith that it’s not quite there.

The flower heads are there, but the whorl of leaves in the foreground is a distraction.

I do, very much like the flower head to the upper right.

Tomorrow starts a ride across the Allegheny Mts from Cumberland, MD to Pittsburgh, PA and Rhododendron maximum will be a highlight. It’s in full bloom, and it’s proving to be a good year.

Namaste

@Kris_Smith and @paul_g_wiegman I very much appreciate your observations. Kris, I wondered about temperature and your comment nudged me back to a little cooler. The scene lighting was diffuse, not due to forest as I said, but to intermittent cumulus clouds that did not extend to the far distance. I burned a few leaves in the repost. I like the middle flower,as it prevents ping ponging the eye between the other two blossoms. Big change was to rid the image of non essential stuff with crop, clone and burn.
@Bill_Fach I hope this change does not diminish what you enjoyed about the original.